Friday, November 13, 2009

I has teh ruined Thanksgiving forevar

The boy actually said it last night. We've had years of excuses, but he actually said it.
"My mother doesn't like you." I won't lie and say that it doesn't bother me at all - because it does. Had I done something terrible to provoke it, it would be one thing, but I've never quite understood where I went wrong. When I moved out here, I had hoped that my MIL would be my placebo mom. Love me, chat with me, go shopping, do things like I do with my mom. Truthfully, I do like my mother in law. I think she's smart and talented and deep down she's a nice person. She just has problems that require medication and therapy that she refuses to get because she's in denial. I don't usually "talk bad" about people on my blog, especially if they are identifiable, but I don't care in this case, because I have no problem with her knowing any of this. I love her despite the fact that I've apparently ruined her son and I absolutely wish she would face up to the fact that she's bipolar and get help.

That said, I has ruined thanksgiving forevar, an act which was Matt's decision, but I'm sure is going down in the book of things I've done wrong. We decided that we're not seeing either family for Thanksgiving, and we want to stay home this year. I want to cook, and Matt supports that. Matt wants to work on his NaNo novel and not drive at least 3 hours. Matt's extended family will understand that - it's not even an issue when his other cousins don't show up. But of course, Matt's mom flipped out on us last night. First words out of her mouth, as a matter of fact, that we're ditching them for thanksgiving! That's not nice! That of course, your grandmother is going to be so upset. They're all going to miss you. You have to call up your grandmother and break the news to her yourself. All this, said of course, very bitingly and with much drama, like we will certainly cause his grandmother to drop dead over this news. Well, Matt told her that we're already planning on taking a vacation day - the monday before thanksgiving! - and going down to see the grandma. But does this make up for it? Nope.

Alright, I knew she'd be ticked - it was inevitable. But seriously. It's not the end of the world, you know. At any rate, I apologize in advance to Matt's entire family. Matt will surely not be missed, because his mom won't stop talking about how rude it was of him not to show up. I'm sure it's his wife's fault.

But, hey. I wrote 50,000 words in 11 days.
It's not all bad.

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

Ouch. Even if you suspected she didn't like you, I'm sure it still hurt to have it confirmed. So here's a hug to make you feel better! ~hug~

Also...50K in 11 days. That rocks! You rock!

Rach said...

I'm sorry you have so much trouble with your MIL. I know I have family dramas, but they are nothing compared to the pain they seem to put you through. I'm sure it wouldn't make much difference by the sound of it, but it may be worth reminding them that you and Matt are a family now, you have your own needs and sometimes they don't extend to meeting others' expectations.

Plus, I also think you rock! Try not the let them get to you too much!