Friday, November 27, 2009

For myself.

Dear Sarah,

Right now you're finishing up National Novel Writing Month. You probably won't finish your novel, but that's okay. You've written over 58,000 words and that's quite an achievement. It would be really swell if you could hit around 65 before the end of this. Come December first, when this is no longer an obligation for you, you're going to forget. The rush that you get from writing is going to fall behind your obligations and genetic tendency to procrastinate.

So I wanted to tell you - you are awesome. You don't always realize that, and even when you do, you shrug it off. You can do anything you want to do and set your mind to. When your heart is engaged in something, you're practically unstoppable. But you tend to forget that. So this is to remind you.

I really want you to do something with the writing this time. I want you to make something of yourself. I know you want it, too. You want it so that you can let the boy stay home, so that you don't have to get a full time job that would take you away from your girls...for all those dreams you have about being able to take care of your friends and, well, buy that shiny new mustang without all the problems. (Vroom. Vroom.)

So I propose this. MAKE yourself do this. Write a little bit every day, and not just here, on your blog. In an actual word file, preferably on an actual story. (It's not like you're short on ideas) and make it a point to keep editing your novel. I know you don't always feel particularly inspired, but I promise that there are people who want to read it for you. You'll feel real great when you start getting opinions in. Just push through that, okay?

I bet if you can make it through December and you're still writing and editing, you'll be in good shape. But you need to make it through this month. Please. Don't cheat yourself ... you really are the only thing standing in the way of being awesome.

Love,
Yourself, as of November 2009

2 comments:

Matt S said...

Dear Sarah,

I believe in you.

Love,
Your hubby

Rach said...

Dear Sarah

I too, think you are teh awesome. And I will try to remind you of that often in case you forget.

love,
Rachel, from the other side of the world