Reading on the NaNo forums this morning while waiting for the boy to wake up. Came across a thread - "Who else is trying to do this for a living?" Boy was that a real eye-opener for me.
Out of four pages (a rather length bit at that) only one person said "I am going to be the next great..." A small handful of people admitted that they're trying or will try to query agents with a novel in the next year or two. The rest, the vast majority said things like:
"Make a living? No, I know that's impossible!"
"It'd be cool if I could get published, but I know there's no living in it, so I'm pursuing XYZ as fall back jobs."
"Yeah, I'm going to write, but I need something that will pay the bills."
"I'd love to be a writer, but I know that getting published is next to impossible."
"Yeah, that's a big dream of mine, but I know it'll never happen."
and so on and so forth. Yes, I understand the concept of needing to pay the bills. If it weren't for the boy, (and if I could actually find something) I'm sure I'd be doing some grunt work as well. But for a bunch of writers on a writer forum, they are so devoid of passion! If there were any place to dream big, it would be there. Yes, I understand that becoming a published author isn't like a desk job - you don't just apply, smile big, and bring in the money. But I just don't understand how these people can just not have any passion.
If you can't have anything to strive for - anything that you will strive for - what is the point in doing anything?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment