I wrote about 4,700 words today, which brings my total to just a pinch over 17,000. I'm really proud of that, and tomorrow I definitely hope to blast up above 20k. NaNo is very exciting - hard work, but exciting.
But I'm going to take a minute to be sad. The boy and I have been talking about churches ... what to do. About the fact that our NaNo group who barely knows each other can bond, encourage and love better than most churches. That we don't know where to go, because the last couple experiences have wound up so disappointing.
I grew up largely "churched". Did the whole youth group thing, went to a religious high school. Honestly, it wasn't until I moved out here did I wound up making friends that didn't go to church on a regular basis. Growing up, you tend to hear that your friends make you who you are, in this negative connotation that if you hang out with secular friends, you will instantly turn into a crack addicted hooker. But over the years, I've watched friend after friend from high school make terrible decisions, while my "unchurched" friends all have their heads on straight. I daresay that a lot of them are living more godly lives than my high school chums, without even trying. I don't mean to stir up any trouble with it, but that's been my observation. The last few years have really shattered various "stereotypes" that I've had.
But where does that leave me? I've been thinking about that. Abstract thoughts. Too much for tonight. But tonight I'll admit, it makes me sad how unloving the church on the whole is. It makes me sad to see people that I cared about bounce right out of church and make ridiculously bad decisions. I am not perfect by any means. But I just don't know they can know better and do the things they do. That I'm the exception is a little scary.
That's all for tonight. Abstract thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My 'unchurched' friends are a much better example of how people should treat each other than a lot of my church friends. My church is full of cliques and is not as welcoming as they think it is. My friends from the college where I lived and people from my university were much better at welcoming people in, helping them study, talking, etc. It frustrates me. It should be the other way around.
So don't worry, you're not alone :)
Post a Comment