Monday, November 9, 2009

Coldstone: The Experience

So, when I moved out here, I foolishly assumed that I wouldn't have a problem obtaining work - because I'm just that kind of awesome. I'll let you finish laughing before I continue.

One such experience I had in my attempts at employment was my brief stint at Coldstone. The specific store is no longer open, for which I am sure to point and laugh when I happen to drive by. It was three weeks (yes, you read that correctly) in March of 2007. They hired me to be a cake decorator - sweet, huh? Well, during the time I worked there, the girl that they had "training" me, never once let me touch cake decorating implements. The not-so-sweet 16 year old was named "Vicki", and suffice to say, she was one of the most full-of-herself people I've ever met.

I worked my tail off at Coldstone. They were expecting the health inspector to come any day when I started, so I was at first relegated to hands-and-knees scrubbing of things. On my third day there, the door had been shattered and cash registers ransacked and bashed because a disgruntled former employee was ticked. I eventually graduated into being allowed to scoop ice cream. Two weeks into my three week sentence, they changed the way they did business and insisted that we serve the customers smaller portions. So I had to re-learn everything - ugh. I got to build a few cakes, which was awesome. I still use this technique when I make ice cream cake. I think it's the only good thing I walked away with.

So then, at the end of week three, I walked in and found that I was not on the schedule. So "John" informed me that he had no room for me. He let me know that it was nothing personal, that I was a great employee, but that I was too old - he would actually have to pay me above minimum wage. At 20 years old, I was over the hill. So I went home, collapsed in the chair in the boy's room, and his mother came down to see what was up. I'll never forget the look her face when she realized I'd been fired. I swear that was the moment she decided I was the biggest loser in the galaxy.

So yes. I was once fired from Coldstone for being "too old". True story.

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

Um...isn't that illegal? Age discrimination and all that?

Although, to be honest, it sounds like you might have lucked out. Doesn't sound like a very promising work environment.

Sarah Ski said...

Yeah, I'm sure it was. But I didn't see it coming and was too shocked to do anything when it happened.

And no, it wasn't a very good place to work. I certainly don't feel bad that I no longer work there. I was just very desperate at the time and needed *something*. It was a really disheartening year.