Monday, November 23, 2009

Holidays and you: For the Ruckus-makers.

When last we met, the boy's family has been in a tizzy because we said that we're not going to Thanksgiving. But, our plans have shaped up to be even more fantastic than we initially thought. We're going to go over to DadSlice's and have dinner with him, Don, and Mel, and then, we're going to have cheesecake and guild wars with Rachael and Troy (and their four awesome kids). I mean ... SQUEE AND A HALF! We've been saying for years that we wanted to spend holidays with friends (i.e. the people we see/communicate with regularly enough that we're close with). On Friday, we plan to have our "dinner". It is going to be so awesome.

(Will it probably tick off the boy's family? Yes. But we're adults, and this is our choice.)

Whatever the end result, this will have been worth it, because I feel so liberated. I also have a theory:

If you're close to your family, then holidays don't change that. You love each other year-round. It's a good excuse to see your family, yes, but if you're close, you're close. If you're NOT close to your family, holidays don't change that, either.

Holidays shouldn't be a burden. Period.

2 comments:

Stacy G. said...

Good for you! I tried to get Justin to warm up to the idea of staying home for Thanksgiving because we couldn't decide on how to deal with the two families, but he wouldn't.

Sarah Ski said...

Aw, that stinks. It does take a while though. Dynamics change once you're married, and I think it takes a while to figure out what works for you.