Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Old Fashioned Clicking"

I'm quickly coming to realize that I am apparently one of the only people in the world that doesn't use an RSS feeder or one of those other "get the content of a website without actually going to the website" things. Yeah, called me old fashioned, but I prefer to click on your blogs and websites individually, not knowing whether they've been updated or not. It's part of the anticipation, like going out to the mailbox and not knowing if the mail has come yet.

I don't need all the places I visit bundled up into a nice, neat, efficient web page. I can click on pages the old fashioned way! :P

While I'm rambling - the lights in Michigan need to sync up. Grand Blanc, most of the lights go "blink blink blink blink, green." In Davison - well - some lights in Davison, they go "green, blink blink blink, red." Now, to be honest, I really can't be bothered to memorize exactly what lights have what pattern, especially since blink to red seems way less common than blink to green. So yesterday, I'm driving, and I see a blinking red left turn, and I think "great!" so AS I'm about to enter the intersection (really too late to reasonably stop), it goes solid, and my brain (in slow motion) goes "huh? what? solid? OH! SOLID!" and I found out that:
- My brakes actually do stop on a dime when they need to
- I really should move that nesco roaster out from my backseat.
But yeah. They should either ALL blink to green or ALL blink to red. If someone would kindly start a petition to that effect, that'd be great.

7 comments:

Com02 said...

At one point in time I was the same way.

But it started getting to the point where I spent more time clicking through pages with no updates then actually seeing new content.

I just don't have that kind of time these days.

Now I can just click one link and get an instant well organized list of updates scroll through them and be on to the next task in moments. ;-)

Google Reader FTW!

Sarah Ski said...

Bah! :)

Elen Grey said...

You make me laugh, Sarah. I'm sort of a half click half feed kinda gal. Much cheer.

Melanie Van Wynsberg said...

I'm with you Sarah - I don't like the RSS feeder- It makes the blog look crowded too!

:)

Krista Heiser said...

I use a RSS feeder, but I never read the entries in the feeder. I always click on the link to take me to the actual blog. I like looking at the scenery while I catch up with my blog friends!

substandardTim said...

I don't use a feeder either. Mainly because I am old and don't understand them.

Jenny said...

I use the in between method -- with Google Reader you can add a "Next" link to your favorites/bookmarks. So, instead of having a bunch of links in my favorites to click through, I just keep clicking the one "Next" link and it goes to the actual blogs for posts. Click "Next" and I am at the next updated blog :-) It still has the surprise factor of who updated and who didn't, because I never know what I am going to get when I press "Next" :-) I like it because I can still see peeps graphics/color/layout choices and it saves me time. Also, I tend to stop going to blogs if people don't update them at least once a month, or at least I stop checking them regularly. This way they can stay on my reading list and one day when I click "Next" I might be pleasantly surprised when their blog pops up! :-)

Only thing I don't like about it, is their seems to be a bit of a delay -- i.e. Updated posts might not show up as a new post on the reader for an hour or so after the post has been made. But, *shrug*, only a minor thing. I still like using it :-)