Monday, September 8, 2008

Tick Tock

Either the heavenly forces really don't want us to have Matt's car, or they want me up at the crack of dawn ... or something!

Matt walks in the door at 7:30 ish this morning. Apparently he nearly drove off the road this morning because he was tired, hit a pothole and flattened his tire. I'm not really sure what my feelings are on the whole thing. I'm certainly glad he's alright, but I also want to smack him hard enough to give him a concussion. If there weren't the glimmer of hope of Matt finding a new job, I would be much angrier. As it is, I'm not terribly happy about getting up early tomorrow, driving Matt to Oxford and then going to buy a new tire (on car insurance month no less. grrrr.) but I'd rather do that than have to go visit him in the hospital or morgue. He darn well better not do this again or I will kill him. (Um, in case he somehow tragically does die, let me specify that no, I would not actually commit murder. But he would be in a whole lot of trouble.)

Photography makes me sad. I hate seeing photographers around here that are at the same level or thereabouts as I am, charging far more than I am, and apparently getting business. Granted I know that I'm intentionally not marketing myself because I'm waiting to see what happens with VA...but it's still frustrating. If not that people are booking them but that they're charging $300 to take pictures. (That doesn't include pictures, that's just for the privilege of me showing up with my camera and you smiling all perty-like) It boggles my mind. Virginia seems like it might be different. Though I am certain there are exceptions, the general rule appears to be that:
a. you have a website that is of very poor construction, possibly not working very well or not working in firefox.
b. you have your name on the web but no website.

It just makes me so sad that in order to be taken seriously, you have to charge real money. I mean, I'd love to recoup the cost of cameras and lenses, but the thought of charging people all that money makes me sad. I dunno. As much as I love the photography (and boy, do I ever love the photography), I really wonder whether I can do it.

Alrighty then. I'm not tired, but I need to try and sleep. So ...

No comments: