Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Friends

So, we got together at DonSlice's dad's house tonight to eat tacos, pie, and play some rockband. We also got to meet DonSlice's girlfriend of something-close-to-year, Mel. It's not that he was hiding her from us - he just lives waaaay up North, and the last time he brought his lady down, Matt decided to throw a temperature of 103. Well this time, Matt's immune system behaved itself.

The M-Slice is pretty sweet. I like her very much. I don't know if she'll ever find her way to this, so I'm not going to embarrass her by going into detail about HOW cool she is ... but I like her. It definitely makes me sad that she and D-Slice are so far away.

But here's why I like Don (in a nutshell, anyway):
I feel like we're actually important to him. I mean, you have friends whom you know, you care about, you hang out with, to whatever degree ... but there's no mistaking that we really matter to Don. I love that, even though we only get to see him a few times a year, we pretty much pick up whereever we left off with him. Nothing really changes (except that Don keeps getting leaner. sheesh!). I also think that he's really candid? honest? open? some word isn't coming to me. But he is what he is. He doesn't put on a face. You know what you're getting with him, and I really appreciate that about him.

That's not to say that I don't love our other friends, because I certainly do. I've got some really fantastic friends, and for one reason or another, they all make my heart really happy. I just really like that Donslice, and I figured it wouldn't embarrass him too horribly if I talked about him here. It's been a real pleasure to get to know him over these last 4 years. He certainly strikes me as a friend I'll have for a long time.

Love ya, Don. Miss having you around, but I'm glad you've got such a great girly.
p.s. Your tacos are the best.

No comments: