I don't consider Matt and I to be the most profoundly amazing couple. We don't spend every moment in complete bliss, we haven't cured cancer together, or ... I don't know. I don't consider us to be a bad couple by any stretch of the imagination, we don't argue often and when we do it never lasts. But when I've heard about two young couples in the past couple weeks who've decided to call it quits, it makes me wonder - why us?
I would think, when you marry someone, don't you realize that it's until death do you part? Don't you seriously contemplate that thought before you take the vows? Unless we're talking physical abuse or adultery, why would you even think to leave your spouse? How can you marry someone, and then just decide for some intangible reason that marriage isn't "right" for you?
I guess I just don't get how you can just want to quit being married to someone. I understand being angry, disappointed, even being disgusted with the person you married, but that's why you take them for better or for worse - not for better OR for worse.
Nothing tangible on the subject. It just baffles me and makes me sad to see couples split up for really mild reasons. What makes Matt and I different ... I don't know. But whatever. The nyquil is kicking in and that means sleepytime for Sarie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I don't know the couples you are talking about, but many couples do get married without thinking about it being forever, better or worse. They get caught up in the wedding plans and then after that the reality hits, we have to work, pay bills, survive, and do it together.
There are also plenty of people who do not think that marriage is long term. In our society half the people who get married divorce.
I don't think anyone goes into it intentionally thinking they will get a divorce, but I don't think they always think about the whole picture of sharing a life with someone.
This is where good (and I stress good) pre-marriage counseling can help.
perhaps you guys have a heavy reliance on nyquil to help get you through? haha just kidding.
marriage like everything else in life can be awesome and awesomely terrible. i certainly don't have a perfect marriage, no one does. Sometimes a song from Sanctus Real on the subject helps me keep my head on straight. The chorus is "don't give up on love, when did it become so easy to run from your pain"
Post a Comment