Thursday, October 9, 2008

The good, the bad, and the hungry.

I'm not really worried about the recent economic stuff. I think if the media would quit dwelling on it, it would correct itself faster than it will - and I'm certain that it will. I can't say that I don't understand people being worried though...Say, my dad. He lost much of his retirement last year because of IBM, so he's had to look for other ways to try and salvage his hopes of retiring ever. He's not looking for excessive wealth, just the ability to retire someday. I'm sure there are other people in similar situations - and my heart goes out to them. For their sake, for my dad's sake - I don't think a little worry is unreasonable. (But again - media is excessive.)

Have you ever paid much attention to Richard Simmons? Beyond the sparkly tank tops and short shorts?
I think that man might have one of the best hearts in the whole world. I ordered the box set of "Sweatin to the Oldies" as a blast from my childhood, and they have some interviews with him. That man seems like one of the most genuine, caring individuals that I've never met. There's not a trace of deception or insincerity in him. Thinking about loving people, as quirky as he is (and I believe quite a bit of the over-the-top is an act), if I'm to love people ... I want to love like him. If you ever pay attention to him outside of the sparkly shirts, he seems like quite an amazing man.

So, with that, I have something to share with you. I love banana and zucchini bread, but not the fat and sugar. I stumbled on this recipe, which is the best of both worlds. I tried it out tonight, and Matt and I both LOVE it. It's got great flavor without being overly sweet, and there's some substance to it, so you don't need to indulge in half the loaf. If you get a chance, I really recommend it, or if you're nice to me, maybe I'll make some for you. ;)

Banana Zucchini Bread
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt

1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla

4 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease your pans (you'll need two)
Mix together the first bunch of ingredients (most of the dry)
Separately, mix together the second bunch.
Add the beaten eggs to the wet ingredients, stir.
Combine the two sets of ingredients and fold in the zucchini.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

I didn't use allspice, because I don't have it. I also used unsweetened applesauce, though I don't think the original recipe specified.

Enjoy!

No comments: