I wish we had someone that wasn't invested in us to talk to. Present the facts, see what they advised.
Matt and I are talking about postponing the idea of moving, because it could be better for him. With taking over this tester position, and due to the company's lack of motivation in hiring and training more testers, it makes him priceless. Suddenly he has a lot more chips to bargain with, that these folks might listen to. If we played our chips and struck a deal with them, Matt could actually get his telecommuting and move out of state. Thing is, in order not to startle the cattle, the deal would probably need to be that we agree to stay in state for another couple of years in exchange for increasing amounts of telecommuting.
On the one hand, I'm fine with staying here. Knowing that I would be here for a couple of years allows me to put effort into things (photography) that I currently can't.
On the other hand, at the rate things are going in Michigan, I'm not sure I will be able to find ANY jobs, retail, photography, fast food or otherwise. It's hard living in a state where everyone is increasingly sullen. Michigan is the economic drain hole of the country. I'm okay here, but I don't feel like I have any future here.
On the third hand, my parents could come visit us, Virginia is a great place to vacation, we could save up money and move right, and my parents would probably be ready to buy a house by the time we move out there. However, (and this is a huge consideration) if anything were to happen to my parents while I am living 660 miles away from them, I will never forgive myself and I won't be able to live with the guilt of knowing that I chose to be away from them. I don't mean it in that dramatic whiny flair, I just know how I am. I get guilt-ridden over choosing supper, the possibility of a parental tragedy wrecks my insides.
There is only so much of a future here for us. Whether we've reached that or not, I don't actually know. Potentially, if we stayed here for a while, it would make our lives easier if things went well. But there's always the chance that things won't go well and then what?
See, Matt and I aren't so good with these big huge life decisions. We haven't really made very many. All we really know is that we're not happy with the way things are, and we see happy down the tunnel, but we're not sure if we should try to take the long road or short. There's a good chance we could take the long road to happy and not end up any happier than if we take the short. Or we could exchange one miserable situation for another. We just don't know...and that's the problem.
Not sure whether to leave in March, or September, or wait a couple of years. All of them have their pros and cons, and none are the clear winner.
A therapist would be nice. Because growing up, I had a hard time deciding between hamburger or cheeseburger. Seriously, my parents would make fun of me over how bad I was at decision making. That was food. These are irreversable life-altering decisions. ACK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
you could do what the disciples did... cast lots... ;)
YES! Let's get some lots and cast them!
Post a Comment