Wednesday, October 8, 2008

..I wish I knew how to quit you!

For about three years, I talked on the phone with the alarming regularity and duration only seen in young teenage girls. Even though our conversations were always completely harmless, as not even boys were that interesting, we hated parental interruption. So we developed a code to let the other know when there was a parent present, rather than just clamming up. That was a really nice purple shirt you wore yesterday...did you see my purple folder at school?
This blog has had the same "stifled" feel to me lately, and the "parent in the room" analogy is the best I can give, though rather incorrect. I don't post any risque exploits, swear up a storm, or otherwise talk about things that I would be uncomfortable with my own parents reading. But yet...I feel like I can't talk, and somewhere between my brain and my fingers, the words cramp up and stop coming. It's incredibly frustrating. But I'll give it my "best shot", because my fingers are aching to share the past few days, which have been a tiny bit more exciting than the Koo-poo of the past few weeks.

I've been totally gorging myself on Tudor history lately. I would feel guilty, but I figure that it's better to get it out of my system than spend time pining over it, and that there are worse things to spend my time and brain cells on. Anyway, I picked up "Henry VIII" by Alison Weir this weekend, and after finishing "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" on Tuesday (I told you I was gorging myself), I settled in to start it when I noticed that there were, oh, 70 pages missing. I got it exchanged, no big deal. At least this was easier than the time that my box set of That 70's Show came and was missing ALL of the discs. I still don't think the Walmart clerk believed that they could ALL be missing.

Another thing I'm totally excited about: The Desert Angel. I love it when I find a little something where I can make a small difference for someone. I'm going to be putting together a couple boxes in the next few days to mail out to our troops in Iraq. I'm really excited...It's like Christmas, but for a complete stranger, and I get to give things that will actually be appreciated and needed! Words fail my excitement. :)

Oh - I thought both Obama and McCain failed miserably at that debate Tuesday. It seemed like the whole thing was like this:
"How are you going to fix the economy?"
"I am going to fix the economy by implementing a complex series of ideas that Mr. Obama opposes! Mr. Obama smells and eats rats for dinner and is friends with the devil!"
Yeeeah. That's getting my vote. They both did it, but I thought McCain exaggerated it more, and his answers were more skewed than Obama's. Plus, this morning, on Fox news of all places, they were talking about "why McCain didn't do so well" and their excuse was "Well, McCain has a very bad temper and tends to fly off the handle, he was holding back from attacking Obama, because his campaign managers said that he can't attack him in person." Seriously?!? He has a bad temper and flies off the handle, and I'm supposed to want him near the nuclear weapon button? Aw haaaail no!

Speaking of nuclear buttons - why is it that religious conservatives get all weepy eyed over the thought of a democrat president, as if he is going to bring about the (literal) apocolypse? I mean, really now. Has having Bush there made it the tra-la-la christian nation of posies? Nooo...So therefore, a democrat really isn't going to send the country straight to the epitome of despair. Besides, if you look at their personal lives, Obama *hasn't* cheated on and left his wife, and McCain has. So...ugh. AND - for the record, I don't feel like the government needs to legislate abortion any further. Would it be nice if people couldn't get abortions? Yes. However, a large percentage of those getting abortions call themselves Christians or Catholic. If the church just did their job and loved and supported people in need, young girls wouldn't panic for fear of condemnation! So I'm not a horrible baby-killer-enabler, I think the church as a whole needs to step up their responsibility. Why does the government need to legislate something that you and I could help stop? Leave the governing to things we really *can't* do much about. The church needs to put their actions first instead of whining about it.

Ah, Mikenna has come out from the bedroom to summon me. She's telling me that I am up waaaaay past my bedtime...and indeed I am.

It felt nice to get some things off my chest.




5 comments:

Matt S said...

Yeah, that debate was pretty sad.

The worst part about this whole thing is that both candidates talked about how they were going to run a clean campaign and not try to smear each other... That didn't work so well. I still think Obama is getting my vote, though...

Anonymous said...

Too bad we can't vote for "none of the above", a viable 3rd party candidate would be nice but it seems the voters are too brainwashed with the 2 party mentality (that doesn't stop me from voting Libertarian anyway).

What's wrong with a little apocolypse? I say BRING IT!

Krista Heiser said...

I hate to admit I got bored with the debate and went to bed about an hour into it. I already knew how I was voting and nothing McCain said was going to change that.

And I had no idea you love Tudor history! Me, too! I'm a huge Elizabeth I fangirl.

Sarah Ski said...

Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a history nerd. I've had a lifelong interest in ancient egypt, and lesser interests in other periods. Though if you get me into the "history" section of the bookstore, I'm likely to twirl around and proclaim that I want to learn it all. :)

Matt S said...

I always wait way too long to start thinking third party... Things always start off so well that I foolishly think that maybe this time one of the Big Two is going to be great...

heh, "always." I'm 24 -- this is only my second presidential.