This is going to be rambly. And disjointed. You've been warned.
Something Karen brought up but I agree with. Detroit is pretty far away. An insurmountable distance? Well, no. But a lot more time has to be carved out in order to do anything. Makes it more of an event and an ordeal. But Flint is closer, and there are plenty of people that need help there, too. To that end, I saw on the news that there's a soup kitchen that also is giving people things like clothes, toilet paper, and other necessities. (This has the address) I'm all about helping, all about doing things, but driving down to Detroit is not really an option.
This is one of the reasons I'm not so gung-ho about most church activities. Everything that happens is at least 40 minutes away. But see, you can't say "move south!" because it's the yargy obligatory things that are so far away. The things we like (like, our friends, my sister in law...) are much closer. We're about as "in the middle" as we can get without tipping the balance. Er, that made it sound like church is a yargy obligatory thing, huh? Not quite what I mean. It's just, with everything else being far, the drive to church on sunday is yargy, and then, if someone wanted to have us for dinner, or some other churchy social event, it's hard to want to go that far. It would be really nice to have a church where "hey, want to come over for dinner?" wasn't a nerve-wracking, near impossible thing. It's difficult to be part of a BODY when the body is so...far...away.
Really looking forward to DnD every Monday. I just wish I had more resources on how Genasi behave. The Tiefling was so ... easy. Writer's group last night was good, too, even though I didn't bring anything to have critiqued. Seems like we'll have a good group, if it lasts.
Mikenna's been doing *really* good lately, and hasn't biled since the last time I've mentioned it here. (Over a week? more? I lost count.) She's been more playful overall, which I love, because she's only playful when she feels good.
I also love vintage and vintage-inspired jewelry lately. I've got a few pieces that are either from relatives or antique shops. I wonder if there are any antique stores around here ...
Really, really, really hoping that the weather holds and we can make the trip to VA in less-than-three-weeks. I also hope that my parents will come visit this spring/summer. I want to see what Aeris would think of Cooper. Heh. heh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I know how you feel--when I am at home, church is about half an hour away, and so are most of the members. It stinks.
ps i hope to write you a letter soon..ish.
The North End Soup kitchen is the one I was telling you about that is only minutes away from school, it's pretty amazing what they do everyday. Maybe we can work something out with us helping with whatever during my breaks or something...
yep, that's why i love the home fellowship idea. you could start one! :D ps, wish ya'd said something to me about hating the Detroit thing! i coulda told you about Carriage Town, a great ministry in Flint, and they help single moms too. well, there, i've told ya anyway!
It's not that I "hate" the Detroit thing. If I lived closer, I would love to be a part of things. It's just that right *now* it's not much of an option for me. The emphasis is meant to be more on that I *WANT* to do things, was disappointed that detroit is far away, but realize that flint is close and also has needs.
Post a Comment