Thursday, February 19, 2009

Asinine Phoenix ... and snoring.

Right now I can hear the gentle snore of Matt in the bedroom. Actually, the fact that I can hear it from here means that it is not a gentle snore, but the tv and distance has it muffled. Love that boy to death, but I would pay a great deal to not have to sleep with the pillow over my head every night. (Usually by the time I get to bed, I can tell him to roll over, put the pillow on my head, and things are pretty good)

So I'm going to make my rant about Matt's asinine (alright, hon, I spelled it right this time) company short and bitter. Long story short, the testing dept (2 people) is being held accountable for the next release when no one else in the company is. So, they're being "required" to work 10 hour days for the next month, as well as two saturdays. Now, I realize that every once in a while, a company comes under crunch time, and this stuff happens. But what you don't understand is that this is phoenix, hence, this is very disturbing. For one thing, it is not physically possible for testing to put in enough time to get this release out the door in much more than shambles. For another, more of the company should be held responsible, but no, the CEO openly coddles the programmers. The baby-waybie pwogwammurs can't possibly be asked to work late, let alone a Saturday. Also, no one is being compensated for their overtime - and oh, by the way, they're technically hourly, not salaried employees, so it is, in fact, illegal. Technically, the ceo is being generious this time by giving them 1/3-1/2 of their overtime back as vacation time. But when, legally, they should be getting paid time and a half at least, it is a very poor exchange rate indeed.

But what can you do? In this economy, you certainly can't quit, and I believe the ceo knows that. He knows he's got his employees trapped, because no man in his right mind would tell two of his employees (and I quote) that they should come in on a Saturday "just for the experience". Yes. The experience. Because I'm sure that's an experience they want. Twice. Oh, and in this economy, I'm supposed to turn around and say "well, I'm just so gosh darn grateful he's got a job" ... and yeah, you know, that's true, but this is likely the start of a very disturbing trend where I see even less of my husband because his boss wants to prove his choke hold on his employees by doing ASININE things. I don't think I've ever wanted to give someone a piece of my mind so badly in my life.

Wait. Sorry. I said that was going to be short, huh? Well, on the bright side, Matt should put in SO MUCH OVERTIME this month that even at the crappy exchange rate, he's going to get two and a half days of vacation time. Also, I've asked Matt to really start working on revising his novel and such, because I don't know how much more of this man's stupidity I can take, and we've got little other option at this point.

In other news, I've been working more on an oil painting. I love the oils, they're very theraputic. It can just be a bit frustrating that they dry so slowly that I can't work as quickly as I'd like. Patience. Also, I just about finished a bracelet I've been working on. It's pretty awesome looking. I'll have to take a picture of it sometime. That time, however, is not now.

Matt's snoring has actually picked up in the last half an hour that I've been putzing and writing this ... I'm sorely tempted to sleep out here on the couch. He's sounding quite snor-riffic, and if it's loud from here, I wonder if he's vibrated the dog off the bed yet. :)

No comments: