Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nutshell Weekend Nutshell

If I'm not careful, this thing could reach monumental proportions!

It was a "long" but good weekend. We went down to see Stacy and Justin last night, at their new apartment down in Southfield, and we had a blast. It was fondue-licious.

Today, Karen, James and I tried out a church, not too far from me. I think I need to make a church matrix, with modern and traditional on opposite ends, and pentecostal and cessationist at ends. Last week's church would have been at the corner of traditional and cessationist. This week...would be as far on the modern line as you can get, and halfway to two-thirds the way up the pentecostal tree. I also feel like this matrix needs two circles: a smaller one of "ideal realm" and a larger circle of "what I would tolerate". I could tolerate the pentecostal scale, but modern has to come way back. Somewhere where jeans are fine, but before you get to the youth forming their pseudo mosh pit at the front with the colored lights. I'm fairly sure God isn't going to strike down anyone for colored lights and fog machines, it's just a comfort thing...I can't be attentive/reverent if I feel like I'm at a rock show. The pastor didn't really open his Bible, and when he did, he referred to Jesus as the "J-man"...I'll leave it there, with a groan and a shaking head.

So, it looks like, as things are now, one week from right-this-very-minute I'll be in Virginia. The weather is shaping up to be just fine for travel between here and there, which is all I'm concerned about. It's a weird thought, because I've been using the word "if" for so long, that this feels like it's snuck up on me. So now, suddenly, I'm struck with the thought that there's quite a bit I need to do, plus the regular things I do. OH. Hah. So, instead of being productive, I'm blogging and going to go back to my video game here in a minute. :) Tomorrow, folks, tomorrow.

Lastly and leastly ... it's an odd ... thing for me. Karen mentioned that she passed on my name to a couple friends of hers who are getting married and need a photographer. They're thinking about using the place where Matt and I got married. Also, separately, there is someone very awesome interested in me making her some cards to send to soldiers overseas. My gut instinct is "OH MY GOSH! I'LL DO IT FOR FREE!!!" as I jump at the bits. :) But my mom keeps telling me that I need to stop doing that. (and I agree, though it goes against every fiber in my body) It's just awkward, because I would love to actually make some money, so I could do stuff like upgrade my camera equipment, pay off my student loan, put some in savings, or just guilt-free buy myself something...But I'm just so tickled to do anything, really. What would really work for me is like ... I'll do the work, and then based on how much you like it and can afford, that's what you pay me. But that requires the world being as pretty as I want to see it through my blue-colored-lenses...and I know better.

So, there you go. I'll stop rambling now, before this gets any longer.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yay! Virginia trip -- possible photography job -- all very exciting :-)