Friday, February 13, 2009

I don't need no fancy stuffs...

I know the boy loves me year-round, no matter what. But this was a nice gesture:

Yesterday, he brought me home a pot of pink gerbera daisies. Unfortunately, our apartment being where it is, and Michigan being exceptionally uncooperative, I don't expect them to last very long. (I don't have a nice, bright spot to put them in where the cat won't decide to have a looksie.) If they can just last a few days, maybe I can find something ... because I really like daisies.

Tonight, we went out to Barnes and Noble, where we got our hoity toity coffees (well, mine was a green tea latte) and walked around...and he let me get three books. Oh, be still my heart!

So I've spent the better part of the night reading "Doomed Queens: Royal women who met bad ends, from Cleopatra to Princess Di" and while it's more of a "light reading" than I normally do for history books (at a whole 150 pages), it's interesting and fun. (Plus, I hope that this will give me an idea for other people/periods to engross myself in once I'm finished with my Tudor history)

And, for the record, this is the sort of thing I like. At some point, yeah, it would be swell to go out to a really fancy place, maybe do something really outlandish...but it's not something I require or even would want most of the time. I really like the more simple gestures. It isn't more meaningful just because it takes on a bigger price tag. (Though if you can and enjoy the big-price tagged gestures, that's fine, no condemnation here.)

That's all I've got to say about that.

1 comment:

Rachael Elisabeth-Cahours Acklin said...

Aww, what a sweetie. That's my favorite kind of Valentine's Day too - books, hot beverages, and hanging with my honey. :)