Thursday, August 7, 2008

Today was a little bit exhausting. It didn't help that I was kept up late by a snoring hubby, woken up early by a playful cat, and then fell back asleep, only to wake up 7 minutes after I meant to be out the door. (All was well enough though. I made it on time.)

I'm not a big fan of yard sales. In whole, I try to avoid them. There's a reason why, given the choice, I'll drive boxes to goodwill rather than attempt to put together a yard sale. *But*, if ya need help, ya need help, and since I don't work during the day, I'm as good a candidate as any to help with the church yard sale, right?

I didn't expect it to be so hard to watch my stuff go. I also didn't expect that people would be haggling prices at a church yard sale...especially when the prices were reasonable to begin with. But, part of what makes getting rid of stuff more bearable is imagining that it's going to go to a good home. It's when it doesn't look like that, that it's oh-so-tempting to run up, snatch said item away from people and say "you know what! If you're not going to appreciate it, it's coming home with me!" (So I can not appreciate it in the basement! ...wait, what?)

I know that the easiest way to remedy all this is to simply not get attached to things. Realize that their place is simply material, decomposable, soulless, emotionless. Items have no feelings, so transferring the ownership from one to another will mean nothing.

...After all, it's not like they're going to run away and try to come back and find me, a la Toy Story, right?

I have been over this with Matt. It's the memories of the stuff that makes the stuff so hard to part with.
But Grandpa bought it for me...
I was only 12 when...
I had the best time doing...
I asked for this for Christmas one year...

Truly, relationships and people are worth so much more than the things we attach them to. But how hard is it sometimes to keep it that way, or to feel like removing the object is removing the mark of friendship itself.

Priorities.
Lord help us to keep our priorities straight and stuff where it should be.

No comments: