This might be a two blog day. We'll see.
Matt bought me an anime set for my birthday, called "Rumbling Hearts". Basically, a boy and girl start dating, girl gets in tragic accident and ends up in coma. Then boy starts dating their other friend and they are completely encompassed in guilt over it. If you don't want to be spoiled, divert your attention now.
In principle it's a good story, or at least interesting. But after following the emotional trainwreck, I wasn't satisfied in the least with where it ended up. Actually, I'm not sure I believed the beginning, either. They didn't do a good job making me feel like Takayuki loved Haruka before the accident, it more or less felt like he was still dating her out of obligation, but that he was wanting on Mitsuki. So when they get together after Haruka's in a coma, it's no surprise, but the relationship is so emo laden that you're not happy in the least. Mitsuki and Takayuki were more compatable as friends, so, by the time Haruka wakes up, you're thinking "GOOD! Now he'll go back to Haruka and they can all be friends again", because they set it up well enough for Mitsuki to have another love interest.
But no. Haruka ends up telling Takayuki that it's ok that he goes back to Mitsuki. So he does, and because Mitsuki has become this jealous whiny emo girl over the series, he tells her that he will never Haruka again. Kinda harsh isn't it? She went into a coma for three years, wakes up, and her boyfriend has been dating her friend, and then, nobody can even be friends anymore. In light of how it began, I'm not sure I wanted Takayuki to go back to Haruka, because as I said, he didn't seem to care about her that much. (But she certainly loved him, which was sweet) But I didn't think that him winding up with Mitsuki and never talking to Haruka again was right, either. Mitsuki and Takayuki were just so miserable together the whole time that it was a big cringe when they got back together in the end. Haruka ends up alone and writes a sad little children's story about the group of friends and how they're no longer friends, but she hopes they can be friends again someday. (Supposedly she's happy, but I think Takayuki and Mitsuki are incredibly selfish)
So, ugh. It just all left me with a bad taste in my mouth, a taste that I'm tempted to take out on the whole 'anime' genre. Maybe if Matt's lucky, he'll be able to convince me to try again when the anime website has their huge clearance come December, but that's going to take a lot of coaxing.
There. Now I've gotten the disappointment out of my system. That feels better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
which goes to show you, sometimes following the whole "agape means die to self" thing gets you more pain and loneliness, at least on this side of the kingdom. being a prophet sucks. but i guess i'd rather be a sad prophet than a miserable selfish twit.
Post a Comment