Monday, August 18, 2008

The PSP Project

Matt wants a PSP. The last thing we need in this house is more video games, since there's a stack taller than the dog of things he hasn't played or finished. Also, a few months ago, he was bent on getting a WiiFit and now that urge seems to have passed. If he really really wants a psp, I have no problem with him getting one - I just want to make sure that he really wants it. So I asked him what he would think of earning it. He thought that was a great idea.

I decided that I would calculate the price of a PSP and a couple games of his choice, and would convert that into how many "things" he needed to do. I don't intend for it to be easy, it'll require a lot of thinking and prioritizing on his part. I've incorporated quite a few things that he wants to do anyway but never gets around to doing ... so it'll be beneficial to him as well.

There are a few stipulations to it, which include:
- If a task is a "time" oriented task (such as, do X task for X days/weeks) and a day is missed, the task must be re-done.
- If NO tasks are completed within a set time frame (6 weeks, I'd say), he's considered to "default", and I receive whatever "money" he's earned.
- He has to approve the completion of the task with me. I don't want to come home and find half the list crossed off.

Some of the tasks are fairly easy. In fact, probably quite a few of them will be, but that's to balance out the ones that are going to take a while.

Here's a bit of what I've got so far:
- Bring Sarah flowers
- Try a new food
- Consume no pop for 2 weeks
- Build a week's cushion of blog entries
- Read 5 books
- Take Mikenna for a walk
- Plan a night to get 8 hours of sleep, and follow through with it.
- Give up something meaningful.
Plus various games he needs to beat, and several writing and reading prompts. Little tasks just to get his mind moving. I figure having a reference list will also help him with the question "What should I dooooooo?"

So, here's where my loyal readers could help. If you can think of something to add to this list, that would be great. I am up for challenging tasks and simple. I've even got a "make brownies" on there. The tasks can not be *actually* impossible, and I would prefer it if they can be done without assistance.

I need 224 things, and as of this post, I've got 37, so your creativity would be greatly appreciated! Have fun!

5 comments:

Com02 said...

Get a good programming book and each chapter progress could be worth a task but it only counts if he finishes it. ;-)

I'm sure I could find a recommendation or two. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Do you have any decorative or "handy" projects that need to be done - like fixing or repairing or installing anything around the domicile?

Echo1Michigan said...

practice with his church's music team.

fieryiceyrei said...

EAT A TOMATO!

Anonymous said...

dang, rei... evil ;p