Got up around 8:30. That was hard, since I was up until almost 2. I'd told Matt on Saturday that he could stay home from church, because he's wanted a day to just sit in his pj's and be utterly irresponsible for quite some time. I'm not really a "sit at home on weekends and do nothing" person, so it worked out well.
Well, long story short, I ended up riding down to Detroit to deliver a bunch of stuff to a family who had nothing. I mean it, nothing. We were able to give them a little bit of furniture, some dishes, towels, blankets, and a few essentials. It wasn't a whole lot, not for a family of a mom and six kids, but it was more than they had when we pulled up. They were extremely thankful for what we brought, and I am so glad that I got to go. I've never done something like that before - I've packed up stuff for people a few times, but I've never been the one to take it to them. Those were some of the cutest kids I have ever seen. It was humbling - we may not have all of the toys a lot of people we know have, but we still live in so much excess compared to others. I'm sitting here on our plush couch. On a laptop - the fourth computer of the household. Next to a hubby who is playing a game on our PS3. It's pretty .... cushy. We have so much that we don't need or touch. It's just ... mind boggling.
Anyway, it was a pretty amazing and thought-provoking day. (and tiring, too) I was honored to have the opportunity to bless them, and I hope that more opportunities come my way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment