Monday, October 19, 2009

Really?

Sister in law told me tonight that her parents are giving her guilt trips over the cost of her wedding. This irritates me for the following reasons:
- K has done nothing but go for the cheapest route possible. The kid MIGHT spend $100 on flowers for the entire wedding. Her DRESS was $300, no alterations.
- They're not even paying for a photographer. (cough COUGH cough)
- The family makes quite enough to not have to guilt trip her.
- They've been paying for MIL's college tuition for over ten years now and she hasn't graduated.
- K is their ONLY DAUGHTER.

I don't know why this surprises me in the least. For years, Matt's mom told him that they would pay for half of HIS wedding, because they understood the cost of weddings and whatnot. But one choice of a vendor they didn't specifically love, and they refused anything.

Oh, and K's parents have refused to pay for alcohol at the wedding, so K's fiance's family is footing the bill. (J's parents being like, insanely poor but as insanely generous) Now, if it were on moral objections, I could understand ... but it's more like they just don't feel like it. MILly, her sisters in law and mother in law all sit around and drink at family gatherings. They have alcohol at home. They're just cheaping out on their own daughter's wedding.

Why on earth I would think that her parents should, I don't know ... happily pay for their only daughter's wedding ... that's beyond me. But it makes me mad for K, because she's SO dog gone reasonable about everything.

Alright. That's all I can say, because any more and I'm going to start cursing. Suffice to say .... Ugh.

1 comment:

Krista Heiser said...

I'll just add in a "humph". I totally get your frustration on K's behalf.