Friday, October 9, 2009

The Netflix Queue (and other early morning ramblings)

This bit is inspired by Krista, whose recent blog post inspired me to make a comment, but the comment turned into a story, and I'm not sure what the etiquette is on posting long comments.

The boy and I share a netflix queue. But shortly after signing up for it, in my excitement, I told him to go ahead and add some movies HE'D like to the queue. Such a nice wife, eh? Well, in his excitement and possibly because he got dropped on his head as a baby, he added 40 of the most awful sounding crapalicious 80's sci-fi movies ever known to mankind. I'm not even being insulting, because he admitted with a strange glee that they're probably really awful. Well, the idea was that he would get a movie, and I would get a movie. We get 2 at a time, so in theory this should work well. Except for that time he had to work 12 hour days, and I got into the habit of bypassing his monster list. Except this time, I'm trying real hard to be a nice wife and let one of his movies arrive. I guess I'm kinda hoping that he'll watch it, and the movie will be SO bad that he goes into some sort of bad movie coma and rids the queue of all these movies that should not have been made in the first place. But that's not how it'll work. He'll probably love it in his strange way, like how he loved the $1 infamous movie "Laserhawk" and I'll wind up with an even larger queue of abomination.

...Maybe we just need separate netflix accounts. That's not unreasonable, is it? ;)

Anyway:

My tear duct is plugged and that, in turn, makes for a pretty miserable me. (In case you aren't clear, "plugged" tear duct is an ironic phrase, because it just weeps constantly.) As it seems to be tied to the change in weather and my sinuses, I'm investigating whether some nasal decongestant might help things along. Probably not, but at the very least it'll alleviate pain.

We ordered me a sansa clip from Woot a couple weeks ago, and it was supposed to arrive yesterday. In fact, the tracking # says that it DID arrive yesterday. Either our mail people are incompetent or the upstairs neighbor's son stole it. The mailman leaves packages by doors all the time (flimsy or boxed, doesn't matter. If it doesn't fit in the box, he leaves it) and he always knocks on the door. Well, I was in the shower when the mail came yesterday, but I didn't hear a knock on the door. However, the upstairs neighbor's son gets home around that same time. Now, I wouldn't think so poorly of him if the cops hadn't been to our door recently asking if he had caused any trouble. But such things tend not to make one think favorably of your moody neighborhood teenager. So I'm going to see if it shows up today. I really hope it does.

Lastly, when it rains it pours. So I'm shooting that wedding Sunday. Well, a girl from our old church called up and asked if I'd take senior portraits for her brother - they need them asap, and I guess I'm going to talk to the mom today. I'm more than happy to do them, even if I did offer to do it for free. (I know that the family isn't very well off...) But they're in Oxford, and me being carless means that there's a limited frame where I can do it. So I'm a little twitchy. THEN, I was asked to take some pictures for a couple that got married down in Detroit - yes, pro bono - next Saturday. Again, happy to do it...But it makes life hectic, as dear hubby would rather punch himself in the jaw than drive me down there, so I have to try and find a ride, which will make MY day very very long. Not that, if my car were working, I could drive myself down there anyway. I would be in the same situation. But you get the jist. Suddenly I've been slammed with potential work - all of which, individually, I'm very happy to do, but together, make for a bit of frazzleness....considering that we're also attempting to get the car fixed, I'm working on a project with K, and theoretically we're going away for a couple of nights in 2 weekends. I like being pretty busy and all, but I prefer steady drizzle to downpour.

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

I'm the one with all the crazy scifi and fantasy movies in the queue. Maybe you and my hubby should form a support group! haha

On a more serious note, congrats on all the photography opportunities. It sounds like the perfect chance to build a portfolio. We'll have to chat someday about photo books and whatnot. I'm in the middle of trying to put one together for my dad and his new wife as I was their wedding photographer. I'm a bit apprehensive about the end product, but I'm hoping it turns out decent. More than decent.

Sarah Ski said...

Well, it's not that I don't like sci-fi/fantasy - I do! It's just the purposely adding bad movies bit. :) Unless you do that too, in which case yes, you need a support group! :)

Yeah, we'll have to chat - not that I'd be too much help, I've never had to make one myself, but I can at least point you in the right direction.