So I've got a cold, which is making me irritable and restless. In light of what's going on with Cylithria, I feel like a pansy for even mentioning it. Today I decided to take it easy and slept for a good portion of the afternoon. The boy brought me home some orange juice, so I'm sure I'll be fine in a couple days. I'm just restless for the things I want to do, but just feel too crappy to do.
I've been thinking about things - started a couple entries over the weekend, just can't find the words to finish them. Sometimes a girl just needs to think about dumbly deep thoughts. (It doesn't make sense - just go with it)
Looking a little into tithing versus giving. Growing up, I've learned about tithing. You give 10% of your paycheck to your church - it's what you do because God commands it :waves hands in the air: a few places here and there. Over the past handful of years, I've become more cynical about wanting to give money to the church though, when I've seen the result of it. You probably know what I mean - the "really blessed" churches with the "fantastic tithers" who have oomptenth thousand dollar systems and laser shows and don't put nearly as much into the community. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think there is necessarily anything morally wrong with buying nice things. BUT I have a problem giving money weekly to a place that is going to use it frivolously rather than on helping. (No, I don't think making teh place more rad to draw in the crowd is a great excuse either) Now, if the church does a lot with the community and STILL has enough for their laser show, sure, fine. I still bet there's a better way to spend it, but :hands in the air: ...
But I've seen people who give regularly, without reservation, and more than 10% of their income. Some of these people don't even have the moral 'obligation', being that they aren't Christian. Moral systems aside, I wonder how things weigh out. Are you a "better" person for giving out of love, or duty? Are you better for giving to something that needs it, or someone that doesn't (but you do so out of duty)? When it comes to Christianity in particular, is it still a principle to give 10% (I find it odd that Christians seem to strictly adhere to this figure when they torch so much of the Old Testament), or is love a better compass?
I don't really have answers...just suppositions. Just one of the things I've been thinking about lately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You sure do pick the interestingest topics! ;)
What I now believe, after having grown up in said churches that basically mandate 10%+ giving (or face the evil eye), is that we should give where we feel we should WHEN we feel we should, and that giving itself should be part of our lifestyle.
Give bread and flour and sugar and warm clothes to the shelter. Give money to organizations that help the poor directly. Give to your church if you feel you should have a hand in paying your pastor's salary. Give your time and your kindness and your abilities to things that you find worthy, and to all the people you come across.
Giving is about helping, not about being obligated. The moment a church or organization decides to obligate its customer/client/parishioner base by guilting them into giving, the giving becomes another bill to pay; and I believe that is when it loses its best power to do the most good.
Post a Comment