Sunday, June 28, 2009

Accusations

So today, someone that doesn't really know me, sent me a long ranting message about how I'm self-important, arrogant, pretentious, and unchristian. They said that I'm not old enough, mature enough or experienced enough to have the sort of attitude I have. That I should act my age, not my bra size. (Egad! This woman has never seen my bra!) Those being the most interesting of the insults. There were several others.

I can't say that I was terribly surprised or upset over what she said. Well, let me modify that - I know this person doesn't like me though for the life of me I can't remember why - but I'm surprised that she would stoop to the point of three paragraphs of personal insults. On a christian message board. Anyway, I'm not going to bother to hash the details of it, because it doesn't matter. As I politely told her, if she had any grounds for the things she was accusing me of, she wouldn't have had to stoop to the personal insults.

I won't say that what she said didn't hurt a little - I'm sensitive by nature, and people in general don't like being reamed out, even if it isn't right. But what really "got" me was her multiple accusations that I was "unchristian". To me, that is a serious thing, worse than being called, say, a B**** or something. I do my best to behave in a manner that is worthy of bearing Christ's name. I fail, of course, but I do try. I put considerable thought into the things I do, always trying for the best. What bothers me, is how she threw the word "unchristian" around. She used it like it was the most watery of her arsenal, the word was obviously just jargon to her. That made me sad. In my opinion, for a christian to say to another one that they are being "unchristian", it should be a serious thing, something that carries weight. Something you don't use trivially and should carry weight with both parties. Not like, oh my gosh Molly, your hair color is just SOOOOOO unchristian. I realize not everyone sees it that way.

So yeah, whatever. I did the "right" thing as best I could see it.

Edited to add:
I'm actually very shocked right now. This woman messaged me back and apologized for misjudging me, and admitted that she doesn't know me very well and that I didn't respond in the way she had assumed. I was not expecting that. Sure, I uh, try to do the right thing, but rarely does it actually pay off. Huh. Anyway, my point that calling someone unchristian is a real heavy accusation still stands. :)

3 comments:

Rach said...

Christian forum? I hope it wasn't the 'buzz...

I hate being accused of being 'unchristian'. It upsets me more than anything, I think, because being a christian isn't a one-size-fits-all description. What it means to be a christian isn't always going to be the same as another person. I remember being told once it was unchristian to believe that humans and dinosaurs didn't coexist. That's a rather silly example, but the point stands. Everyone has their own set of doctrine, and as long as someone feels they are right with God, there is no right for anyone to attack that relationship.

Sarah Ski said...

Oh, it was the 'buzz.

And I agree with you. Can't think of anything else to add to that. :)

Rachael Elisabeth-Cahours Acklin said...

You had me at 'oh my gosh Molly'. LOL! :)

I'm glad you got an apology. Calling names is bad enough when you DO have a basis for what you're saying.