(Scroll past the obligatory list for an actual post)
1. Twilight
2. New Moon
3. The Five People You Meet in Heaven
4. Telling Yourself the Truth
5. The Shack
6. On Writing
7. Marley & Me
8. Eclipse
9. Doomed Queens
10. Revolutionary Road
11. Breaking Dawn
12. She's Come Undone
13. The Reader
14. A Version of the Truth
15. Darth Bane: Rule of Two
16. Love the One You're With
17. Watchmen
18. How to Read Literature Like a Professor
19. Interview With the Vampire
20. Innocent Traitor
I don't remember how I was "made" to love reading. It was one of my first loves, and one of the few things that has remained consistent. My interests have changed as I've grown up, but I've always been a reader.
My dad wasn't like that, though. You'd never know it now - but he tells me that he didn't read at all until his sophomore year of high school, when a teacher coaxed and bribed him into reading a couple of books. (One of which was "of mice and men") He's been hooked ever since.
One of the best memories I have with my dad is him reading to me. I don't remember the particular circumstances, I think it was school related. I just remember that in second or third grade, my dad read The Hobbit to me. I would lay on the bed with him, my head on his chest and listen to him read. As much as I enjoyed the story, the real treat for me was the time with him, and feeling the vibration of his voice on his chest. I have lots of good memories with him, but that's one of my favorites. I have the copy that he read to me, and while it doesn't "fit" with the others, is kinda ratty and could probably be upgraded...I can't bear to, because that's THE copy.
So yeah. Books. Awesome. Papa...awesomer.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a sweet tribute to your father. Hope he had a great Father's Day.
Post a Comment