Friday, January 23, 2009

Revolutionary Road

On the one hand, I highly recommend this movie. On the other, if you're just looking to be entertained, go see Paul Blart: Mall Cop. This movie asks a lot of very deep questions and some frightening answers about life. I don't want to spoil anything on the chance that someone here is interested in seeing it, but man, you can't help but walk out of that movie thinking about your priorities after that. What kind of crap-sham things do we do to maintain an illusionary life that we might not even want? Why do we work jobs we hate to live places we don't like to buy things we don't need? Why, when someone aspires to more than just the same ol suburban life, do we extinguish it, call them crazy? What really keeps us from just being extraordinary?

I thought the movie was fantastic, start to finish. Very well done, very thought-provoking, very ... raw. I think you feel for Kate and Leo through the whole movie, whether you agree with them or not, you feel it. It's also not a "feel good" movie. Apparently the folks behind us didn't understand that, as they mentioned during their running commentary behind us for the entire movie. Seriously, I don't know HOW this happens, every time, we manage to find the one group of people in the entire theater that wants to be obnoxious. Seriously, these people were easily in their 40's or 50's ... it was like sitting in on a showing of mystery science theater, but they weren't trying to be funny...more like sitting in front of captain and mrs OBVIOUS. Meh.

Don't see this movie just based on my recommendation, because I don't want to be held responsible for you having to think long and hard about your life, or sending you into a spiraling depression. But if you're already thinking of seeing it, you should.

No comments: