Sunday, December 21, 2008

Tis the weekend to be jolly...

This weekend, rocked. It was a weekend we desperately needed, and I can't regret a minute of it, and I make no apologies. Plants need light, and will grow if exposed to light 24/7, but they also need the darkness in order to really thrive. This was a good weekend of darkness for us. We got to stay home for most of it, a pleasant change from the hummingbird-like existence that has been going on for months.

We went to the Olsons' last night for the second annual Christmas-ish get together. Here's why said gathering rocked: (A condensed version, or we'll be here all night)
- Unlike most gatherings this time of year, this was optional. No one was there that didn't want to be.
- We all gave each other some sort of gift, though it wasn't discussed or expected. We all just wanted to, and at least to me, that says a lot.
- I know that my friends really care, and even though I'm not the most chatty of them, they know me better than a lot of friends I've had...and that brings SO many warm fuzzies.

We were out pretty late, and so we didn't even try to make it to church today. I don't have any regrets. Most times, we end up leaving the friends so that we can get up at 8 am to make the trek to church...but the conversation was good, the friends were plentiful, and it was a good atmosphere. On the scale of importance, friends trumped church. I also read the entire book New Moon while we were there. On the one hand, it says a lot for the series' addictiveness, on the other hand, sorry I wasn't more interactive. This time of year, I need a little more 'sad space' ... thanks for understanding. I mean it. It means the world to me that you guys "get it", because almost no one else does.

I feel like I'm on the brink of making some good changes. Maybe. Changes are always easier to talk about than actually implement. I'm starting to understand the reasons why I do certain things...how much our reactions and perceptions shape things. It's a little much to get into here. But I realize that I do certain things to keep the peace, to keep people happy, etc - that end up at the expense of my happiness and/or well-being. Now, I'm not a huge "pleasure seeker" in life, but there's a line. So I'm on the brink of 'enough is enough'. Of taking responsibility for my decisions, or lack thereof. I'm not here to make everyone else happy ... Maybe that sounds "mean", but it's true ... I'm too much of a pushover.

At any rate, I want to do much more reading over the next year. I think I'm going to 'self-challenge' myself to read as many books as I can over the next year. Rather than wait until January ... because that's cliche', overused, and pointless ... I think I'll just go Dec-Dec.

SO!
1. Twilight
2. New Moon

No comments: