I've been looking for answers for quite a while now. Matt and God have both been hearing a lot of the same basic question: "What do I do with my life?" and for the life of me, no one is giving me "The Answer" (registered trademark)
As if I weren't confused enough about what to DO with my life, the questions started seeping deeper, and when I didn't have answers to the first set of questions, it's been getting increasingly yargy. Exhausted of traditional means of finding answers, I've sunk to the level of online testing, of which I put no stock into. However, I found something useful. Something that actually, while not answering questions directly, has helped put things in perspective at least.
INFJ. I've never had tests that accurately described me, not really anyway, but this is accurate to a scary degree. I've found these two articles to be the most descriptive, though I don't think I've found anything I've actually disagreed with in any of them. (One of the articles I found even said that INFJ's tend to be found more in only children than others - score!) Being that I am also apparently 1% of the total population, and due to the sheer accuracy of the descriptions, I feel like I should be handing out these sheets whereever I go.
"Here. You can has understand me now plz. K thnx bai."
What it boils down to is that I'm too complex for my own good. I'm creative and I care about people, I have really high standards, I stick to my principles, intuitive, painfully sensitive, gifted, conflict-runner-fromer, and (*cough at Matt*) my intuitions are usually right. Among the "ideal" careers I'm drawn to: Design, fine arts, photography, writing, counseling, teaching. All true. It also says that I'm a better written communicator than verbal. Truer words were never spoken.
Again, it doesn't give me "The Answer" (registered trademark) but it helps. It makes it okay for me to be confused, to know why I over-think things, why I lean the way I do, and stuff like that. It makes changes a whole lot easier to make when I know that I'm not odd for coming to the conclusion I do, that it's the way I'm wired.
At the risk of sounding ... emo (?) or incredibly high school, there's a really nice comfort in seeing that "how I'm wired" has a name. I'm not crazy, I'm not the only one, I'm just one in a million (or so).
Since I can't pry you commenters out of the woodwork with cat pictures (for shame!!!), let's see if I can get some of you to take this test and tell me whether it's accurate for you too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
INFP -- another 1% category. Guess we're special ;-)
I've taken this test before -- long ago in school, at least once, maybe more. I will have to see if I can find the paper at some point.
INFP FTW!
ISFJ -- and here i thought i was an over-thinker ;)
hard to answer these questions, tho, because many of choices would have been easy when i was younger, but i've changed so much so that one choice describes who i was naturally, but the other describes who i've grown to be. it "skews" things, i think, because even tho we may be "categorized" a certain way, that doesn't determine how we will always choose to act. we always have the choice. like, we will probably always tend toward introverted, but that doesn't mean we will always make the introvert's choice. fr'instance, i've seen you make extrovert choices on occasion!
INFJ!
Yeah, just because we're wired a certain way, doesn't mean that we will react that way 100% of the time, or that we're like that for life. We can re-wire ourselves, so your millage may vary.
well what do you know...I'm an INFJ too...although when doing more thorough Myers-Briggs stuff I actually come out right on the cusp of introversion and extroversion...this one was 52%...which is about right because sometimes I crave 'me time', and other times I really feel the need to be with people.
My brother us a funny one with these things...he usually comes out around 50% on everything...it's bizzare. But it does explain a lot about him!!
Out of all of the catagories, I was most "centered" on I vs E...wasn't quite as close as yours, though! I figure it's about right, though. I'm quite introverted, but if I'm in my element, I can be as extroverted as the rest of them.
Fortunately for everyone, me being "in my element" is a rare thing.
Ok, where can I find the online test? You can't post something like this without giving me a link! It's cruel and unusual punishment.
http://www.careertest.net/cgi-bin/q.pl
I recommend googling whatever result you get afterwards ... the synopsis they give you on this site is alright, but you can find much more detail elsewhere.
Post a Comment