Friday, December 12, 2008

On the times

I suppose you've all heard about Caylee Anthony? For the one Australian reader I know of and anyone who manages to avoid national news, the summary is:
Caylee Anthony was reported missing after her grandmother said that she hadn't seen her for a month. The mother claimed that she had dropped her kid off with a babysitter/nanny in June (this was in July). The mother's car smelled of "death". They've found hair and chloroform in the car, and the mom's recent internet searches were for things like "how to break a neck".
The mom's a 22 year old who didn't want to have the baby in the first place, and likes to go out partying. (They have pictures of her out clubbing after the case had been made public.) So they're pretty sure that she's guilty.

What breaks my heart, what makes this blog-able to me, is this:
The mom tried to give her baby away. The grandmother wouldn't let her, insisted that she raise it. Ugh! There are thousands of families who would have loved to raise that gorgeous little girl. Instead, she winds up murdered because her mom was forced into raising a child that she obviously couldn't handle. It's so tragic that this little girl had to die because the grandmother was too selfish/blind to realize that this was WAY beyond her daughter. So anyway, they've found a body, and they think it's probably Caylee. It's so sad.

While we're on 'current events': Seriously? UAW? I don't know what kind of math you're doing, but 80% is better than nothing! I can't imagine what kind of men these people are, or what they're thinking, that they're too egotistical to take a pay cut in order to preserve their jobs. I guess Bush could (and very well might) use some of the 70 billion to bail out the autos, but I'm more peeved about that than passing the 14 billion, because all they're doing is giving the spoiled child what they want. Those stupid unions need some tough love, they need to be allowed to fail if they're going to be so pig-headed. Or maybe they all need to have "Dickens Christmas Carol" like experiences, where they actually see the consequences of their decisions. I'm so, so, so thankful that Matt doesn't work for an auto.

We went to Burger King for the first time in a while last night. They've changed their sizing, so that the "regular" meal size is now considered "small", but you can upgrade to medium or large. Wendy's does this too. I've forgotten a couple times and ordered a large - and let me tell you - the size is just inhuman. It bugs me that what is considered the "small" today is still more than a reasonable portion. I realize that weight is the problem of the people who buy the food, not those who make it so much, but somehow this blatant 'enabling' just feels yucky. At least they don't have the quad-stacker on the menu like they did last year. That thing just looked like a coronary waiting to happen.

PS: For a laugh, check out http://crummychurchsigns.blogspot.com - it's hilarious. Really sad that churches have such awful signs, but some of them have brought me to tears.
"It's yahweh, or the highway"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the Big 3 needs to make changes. However, the union reps should have gone to the workers and asked about the 80%. Instead they made that decision for the UAW and the workers didn't have a say. This was also for a LOAN, not "free" money to them.

The part I want to know, is why the banks were given the bail out money (the "free" money at least for them), no strings attached. Then they continue to live large lifestyles and are not giving out loans like the money was supposed to do. Instead they are buying up other banks and what not.

If the big 3 fail it will be a very sad day and I'm not sure if everyone realizes the effect of this. Some do and some don't. I'm not saying that they didn't get themselves there, but it was the higher ups doing, not all these middle class workers trying to take care of their families. Those are the people that are going to suffer.

I just feel like everyone has their priorities in the wrong place and it's very disheartening. There's my rant on the subject.

Sarah Ski said...

Yeah, I'm really torn on the subject. I certainly don't want them to fail because of the sheer number of people that will be affected.

I also agree that it's awful that the banks got free money and they're giving the autos such a problem for a *loan*. I also understand that if they don't stop somewhere, everyone and his brother is going to be lining up.

Unfortunately, I don't know what would help in this situation. Maybe there should be a loan to the autos, but with strings attached - the UAW needs to step back and see their mistakes - those higher up need to take a paycut, emphasis on new fuel/fuel efficient cars - stuff like that. A straight up yes or no isn't the answer, and I wish people would be more willing to compromise.

I think heads should roll - those responsible for getting us into these messes. But man, it's getting harder to figure out who the "bad" guys are and who are just victims of circumstance.