Monday, December 15, 2008

A recipe for you!

These cookies are amazing. By cutting out some of the butter, substituting some white sugar for brown sugar, and using some cocoa powder and chocolate syrup instead of straight up chocolate chips, these cookies cut way down on the fat and shave off some calories. I got the recipe from eatbetteramerica.com

Chocolate Brownie Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
2 egg whites
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries or dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted*
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat sugars, butter and oil with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Beat in chocolate syrup, egg whites, egg and vanilla.
2. Beat in flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips, cranberries and pecans. Drop by slightly-rounded measuring tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
3. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

My modifications:
- I used dark chocolate syrup, since that's what we had. I think it made them richer.
- Our chocolate chips were sweetened, since that's what we had. I also used fewer of them, because I'm just weird like that. I prefer a higher cookie to chip ratio than some.
- No cherries or nuts in ours. They'd probably be good with them, though, if that's your thing.

The cookies are surprisingly light, and just rich enough that you don't want to eat a ton of them. (A good thing!) Also, they seem made to be followed with a glass of milk. In fact, you start wanting another cookie just to drink more milk. Mmm.

No comments: