Being married/having your own household is an adventure. While I don't necessarily enjoy the act of buying groceries (thanks to the 24/7 hectic walmart that serves as the most convenient grocery store), there are other things that I really do enjoy, like finding out what products are worth spending more money on.
When we first got married, I wanted to buy everything as cheaply as possible. In the process, I discovered that there are a lot of things that you can get away buying off-brand. Four examples off hand are: cream cheese, block cheese, milk and pasta. (I guess I'm a bit of a dairy freak.) Canned fruits/vegetables and broths are fine too. It's a little hit or miss with the pasta sauce, but it really comes down to personal preference. Wal-Mart's whole milk mozzarella is fantastic, and I've never had a problem with their eggs.
On the other hand, I almost never like off-brand cereal unless it's the rice stuff. Heaven help you if you can't puff rice correctly. Store brand refrigerated crescent rolls don't bake up as fluffy, but sometimes that's okay. Store brand soy milk can widely vary in quality - wal-mart's is terrible, but kroger's is great.
My husband and I have had a long running feud with dishwashers. Three apartments in two years and clean dishes have been hard to come by. In desperation, we switched away from the store brand stuff and got Cascade Complete. It's been a couple months now, and I still can't help but show the boy at least one dish from every load. "Look! It's clean!"
I guess it's a lot of trial-and-error mixed with personal preference. For me, it's been a fun experiment. Also, for the record Mom's Best cereals are da BOMB. They don't have a ton of variety, but what they do make is excellent. They also tend to run significantly cheaper per ounce than name brand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I agree with you! Though, Meijer liquid dishwasher soap worked really well for us. Unfortunately we don't have a dishwasher anymore!! :(
And as far as cereal goes, if you guys like sugary stuff, the "matey" kind of cereal (I think it comes from wal-mart), for example, the Chocolate Marshmallow Matey's is the best! My sister gets it for her son. But, I like dehydrated marshmallows.
Interesting - I admit that I never got around to trying Meijer dishwasher soap. Sometime can you email or facebook msg me your new address? I need to update my file! :)
Post a Comment