Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Final Frontier ... of food.

I'm a pretty awesome cook, however, I don't apply this skill when it comes to cooking only for myself. Since I am alone for 2 out of 3 of my meals a day, sometimes things get interesting. There's a good chance that I will just NOT eat either breakfast or lunch. Or there are things like, the week (or two?) where breakfast and lunch consisted purely of nutella toast and milk. I never really thought of it as a bad thing. I just often forgot to pick up stuff for myself while grocery shopping. No biggie.

I love my MVP because it makes me "listen" to my body. I know that if I throw too much caffeine, sugar or sodium in my body, I'll feel it. If I don't get enough sleep and let stress get to me, I'll feel it. Normally, I'm pretty good about knowing my limits. But I had an incident last month where I VERY much disregarded everything I know about dehydration, caffeine, tiredness and sugar and the end result was a night of sickness I won't soon forget.

That night started me thinking about how I do things, and the way I treat myself. It made me really sad when I realized what a low priority I place on myself. Long story short, I realized that I should at least care about myself enough to feed myself, which evolved into a desire to feed myself fairly well. I've found that one act: making green smoothies in the morning, has really changed the way I view taking care of myself.

But here's the really revolutionary thought I had. What if I could eat in such a way that I'm not merely keeping the MVP at bay ... but actually feeling really good?

That's what I'm going to try and accomplish. I've done some research and signed up for a course with the "Raw Food Witch". I have no intention of going fully raw, but I think that there's definitely something awesome to be gained in eating more vegetables and fewer processed things. I'm really excited. I feel like we're on to something good here.

No comments: