Sunday, July 19, 2009

Vurra Goot Dae

...you know, if you set aside the whole "Matt's allergies are worse than an alligator jaw clamped down on a helpless chimpanzee" bit. It was odd. He was fine. We walked into a book store (Gamer's Sanctuary), he bent down to look at a book (Shadow Run) and he started sneezing. It's been 27 hours...I'll let you know when he stops.

So, we've been going to the Calvary Chapel of Flint now since mid-May. I'm SO happy with the church. All of the people there are extremely nice, and they take a real effort to get to know you, your name, and things about you, but not in an overbearing way. I'm not so keen on the music - it's mostly your generic post 1997 "praise and worship" to the tune of an accoustic guitar and a bongo drum. But the sermons are fantastic. Calvary Chapel believes in going through the Bible line by line, verse by verse. You might think that would be boring, but it's not. Pastor Chuck brings his knowledge (and much research into history, languages, and the rest of the Bible) and brings life to the words ... and it's challenging. A little long (service usually runs around 90 minutes start to finish), but challenging. They do a monthly potluck, where everyone stays and chats - though they usually have coffee before and some sort of munchy after, for those who are interested. I'm very impressed with this church, and haven't a doubt that this is the right place for us for now. I really look forward to Sundays, something I haven't been able to say in a while. I don't really feel guilted into going, but I really *want* to go, because I know that there is a body that treats each other like a family, and a message that I know will make me think. Next week they start on Romans. I'm so pumped.

Also, today, I painted (always therapeutic), got to play with friends, and I'm watching some Grey's Anatomy. Life is pretty good, I'd say.

1 comment:

Melanie Van Wynsberg said...

That's so awesome you guys have found a great church you like. :)

Thanks for the eMVie comment! :)