Wednesday, July 29, 2009

But I didn't sign up for that ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really upset or complaining ... just baffled.

Doncha hate it when you get signed up for something that you WAY didn't sign up for? Because that totally happened to me this weekend. Walked into church this weekend (I'm so, so bad with names) and this lady walks up, hands me an envelope and says it's in regard to me wanting to be on the prayer chain ministry.

Ah, huhhhh, what now?

Sure enough, they put my name on the list to be called if there's an "urgent" prayer request. Which ... on the one hand, it's not that big of a deal. I certainly don't mind praying for needs. In the middle hand, I don't particularly like dealing with the phone. (I'd love it if my friends called me, but not people I don't know, and I'm not good at MAKING calls)

On the other hand, I certainly didn't sign up for anything. In fact, I hadn't even heard of such a thing existing. definitely didn't have any conversation that would have led anyone to believe that i knew about this or wanted to be a part. So I have no idea what-so-ever how my name got attached to wanting to be part of it.

This is one of the things that I don't particularly care for in churches...when they start pushing responsibilities on you that you don't want. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to help out the church and stuff, but when I'm ready. I know some people, the second they visit a church, want to help out in every single ministry. I need time. in my experience, churches tend to err on the side of everyone being a real go-getter from the time they set foot in the door.

But yeah. It's not a big huge deal. I'm just baffled, to be honest.

1 comment:

Rachael Elisabeth-Cahours Acklin said...

I accidentally signed up to be on the prayer chain at a church several years ago, and I also hate getting phone calls. I ended up feeling guilty all the time because I kept getting well-meaning and confused voice mails.

Ugh.