Friday, March 6, 2009

Trip to Virginia Part 2 (The really awesome cemetery)

These are in no particular order, because have you ever tried sorting multiple pictures on blogger? It's like trying to name and alphabetize fleas.


Part of the cemetery dedicated to war deaths. I wanted to see it closer, but by the time I saw it, it was quite far away and I was tired.










I call this "Karen contemplating death" but it would have been more poignant had she been contemplating death in part of the cemetery with headstones.
















The really cool chapel. To prove my morbidity, I actually asked, out loud, if anyone had ever wanted to get married in it. In context of the cemetery, my question really isn't THAT bad.
















See what I'm talking about? This is a SWING. On the swing are the words "swing at your own risk"...obviously they are well equipped for what should happen if you take that risk and roll a 1.















I can offer only two possible explanations. Either people in Virginia really are morbid enough to want to have lunch with the dead, or there are undead in Lynchburg.









If it weren't so awesome looking, I'd make a joke about how it doesn't really fit in a cemetery either.

















In a more cemetery-appropriate picture ...
This was hand carved by a woman for her "beloved husband". I can only imagine that many tears went into that.
















I call this one the angel of music. Heh.































Ah, yes. Nothing says "welcome to a cemetery" like a metal toy car. I'm telling you - undead.











Your guess is as good as mine.

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures! I love cemeteries. Sick, I know.

Sarah Ski said...

Heh, you're welcome. I've always said I'm a little morbid, so I understand. I was the one who *insisted* on finding the cemetery :)