Saturday, November 29, 2008

"How Stella Got Her Groove Back"

I've never read that book. I don't even know what it's about, really. I just know that it was featured on Oprah, or her book club, or whatever.

But if I had to put a title on this past month, I think that would be it. Something clicked this month, and it made a bunch of other things click. See, somewhere around the time I started dating Matt, I was on the cusp of greatness, of growing up. I was beginning to see myself outside the lines of the awkward, quiet high school girl that didn't feel good about herself, or comfortable in anything she did. Somewhere along the line, I can't pinpoint where exactly, I lost it. But this has been one of those slightly life-altering months. I can't say that it was "whoa man totally life changing!" because you may never notice a difference. I will still probably be borderline painfully quiet in person. I will still procrastinate, I will still have anxiety, I will still enjoy sitting in the corner by myself best, and I will still enjoy peaches on my mac and cheese.

But, I will be a little more okay with all of that. I will be a little more excited about the things that make me happy, about the things that make me me. I will feel a little less obligated to make everyone else happy at my own expense, but I'll have a little more room to really care. I'll be a little less hesitant, and a little less tempted to change my interests to fit the crowd around me. I'll be a little bit more of a risk-taker, but happier to be where I am. I'll be a little more confident and a little less critical of myself. I'll be more patient with myself, and a little more moderate - not everything is "all or nothing".

I feel a passion that I haven't felt in a while. Once again, I feel like I'm on the cusp of greatness. This time, I have a different definition of greatness. I have more friction, but more traction.

I feel like Sarah got her groove back.

1 comment:

Rach said...

I think that book might be how someone gets out of a rut by falling in love with a much younger man...

which I'm sure isn't what you've done...and it the title at least illustrates your point nicely!