I'm pretty sure that snow didn't bother me (much) until I was a teenager. It didn't +really+ start bothering me until I was 19 and working a full-time job for the first time. That's when the reality of driving in the snow set in. My parents (well, more specifically, my dad) were calm and encouraging about it. Just drive carefully, drive slow, take your time. Don't do anything stupid and you'll be okay.
Then I moved from the idiot driving capital of the world, to the "we invented cars so we must be the best drivers, hur hur hur" plus snow capital. New Jersey drivers are bad, yes, but they know they're bad. They admit they have a problem...but they don't know how to be any other way. There's some sympathy to be had in that. However, Michigan, no. You think your driving is fine. After all, you make cars. So obviously you'd know how to pilot them. Then you add a gojillion feet of snow, and toss little ol me (who thinks that one inch is scary driving!) into the equation.
It's snowing moderately sized flakes, and the snow is just starting to stick on the roof and coat the ground a little. It's that nice bob ross artistic spritz on the bush. It's a perfect winter scene. Except ... I sit here, stare out the window, and I'm gripped with fear over snow, and driving in said snow. Fortunately, I don't work, so my obligations to drive are nearly nil. But I'm still terrified...EVEN THOUGH I've successfully driven the last two winters here, and last winter was not nearly as mild as the one before.
That sort of terror over things I clearly can't control ... it makes me sad. I would love to be able to look out the window, at the snow, and appreciate the beauty of it. I really, really, would.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yup, Us Jersey girls know snows not so bad as long as you drive slowly and piggy-back the plows. Michiganders on the other hand they are in a hurry and have no patience for those of us who model granny behind the wheel when the white flaky stuff falls. They blow by you, beep and make some interesting hand gestures. Oh well at least Jersey girls have thick skin and don't take offense easily! Oh Btw in NJ if you are a bonehead and cause an accident your insurance pays for damages on my vehicle if proof of fault can be shown. Maybe that's what Michigan needs?
I hear you hun. And if this year is anything like last...we're doomed.
I think the first fall or two is beautiful, and then the reality of the next 4 months sets in and I feel ready to crawl under the blankets for the remainder of it.
You're luck you dont work or drive to school. I grip the steering wheel in fear each time, praying the whole way there, while also wishing for the snowless streets of my beautiful arizona.
But...oh...look...its snowing outside right now. *grumble*
Good luck! To both of us!
-JJ
Post a Comment