Sunday, May 10, 2009

In which I vent about MIL and stuff.

The first isn't really a *vent* ... sometimes volunteering at the pregnancy center is kinda hard. Logistically it's not. I've never had anyone looking for a pregnancy test actually come in, the phone doesn't ring too often, and most of the time, it's for someone else anyway. Most of the time, I don't really have anything to do, but being there frees up the other person to do things if she needs to. What's hard about it, is when you hear the stories, or you hear what's going on over the phone. You just hear things that stick to you. I'm not sure if you expect the cliches' to be untrue, or if you expect that because they're so cliche' that they won't bother you. I always need a little bit of mental cool down when I get out of there.

So, on the heels of my MIL's comment to my sister-in-law about her weight...yesterday was the "mother's day" gathering with MIL and *her* MIL (one of Matt's grandmas). And in the midst of delicious pizza and grinders and ice cream cake, MIL and GMIL sat there going ...
"Oh, I'm trying to lose weight"
"I'm trying to lose weight too"
"Oh? How much have you lost?"
"Eight pounds."
"That's great, how are you doing it?"
"Oh, I'm just cutting out all foods that make life worthwhile"* (*not exactly what she said, but it sums it up)
"I'm just restricting myself to one plate and I'm really only eating a tiny bit of breakfast and a bit of dinner" (I'm *pretty* sure that's what she said)

and they went on and on in this matter, trading diet tips, while us four kids sat there and rolled our eyes. While MIL and GMIL could stand to lose a few pounds I *guess* ... it was just like ... srsly people?

Then! They started talking about how peasants of a few hundred years ago had the right idea because they only ate meat once a year because they were too poor to afford it. GMIL said, "Half of America is so overweight these days, peasants were healthy."

Yes. I'm sure peasants, who were often malnutrioned from lack of variety in fruits and vegetables, had *greeeeat* food practices that lead to a susceptablity to things like plagues....are a great example of "healthy people".

Things like this make me miss my mom and my "low brow humor" so much. At least when we sound stupid, we're aware of it. We're fun and harmless. Man ... I miss her. She's so much more fun than the ILs.

No comments: