Monday, May 11, 2009

Can I refund that name?

I'm rather pet-peevey about my name, I just typically don't bother saying anything. It's mildly irritating to get junk mail or things from distant acquaintances that can't spell "Sarah" correctly, but at any given time, half of my friends will spell it wrong. I had one friend in 4th grade who always spelled it Sahara or Sarha. It's not like I've got an exotic spelling, either. It's not like it's Cera or Sayra or something. At least 99% of the population could spell Coleman. I did periodically get "Colman" or "Colemen" but there was a boy in my class named "Colwell", so, meh.

So, of course, I just had to go and marry the boy with the "unpronounceable" last name. I thought it would be fun, having a unique last name. But no, it's really not. Less than two years in, I'm already sick to death of the luggage it comes with. "lawwwl, we can't pronounce your last name or spell it, so we're not even going to try" or from strangers, "holy crap, how do you say that???" or "uh, HOW do you spell that? oh. man. that's crazy." Yes, I realize "Smyczynski" is a pretty unwieldy name. But it's not really THAT hard, I promise.

Aaaaand now I get mail that spells neither name correctly, and I really hate that. It happens more than I care to admit. It doesn't help that I don't really *feel* like a "Smyczynski" for whatever that means. I hate ham and sausage and random family gatherings. I'm creative in all the wrong ways. I'm not "peasant" shaped (to put it nicely). I can cook *really* well, I'm not good at small talk, and I don't have a college degree. I don't want kids. I don't care if I ever have my own house, or if we ever have a lot of money, I just want my husband to NOT have to work a desk job forever. I like Ford Mustangs the best. I like really stupid tv shows. I hate being guilt-tripped into things. Basically, I feel like I don't have anything in common with my husband's family. I thought that feeling would go away over time, but it hasn't.

If it were easier, and if it wouldn't look like I hate my husband, I'd take back my maiden name in a heartbeat. :(

Sorry. I know. Whiny tonight. I do love my husband, and I love his name on HIM. I just don't like it on me and that I'm now doomed to a lifetime of Sara Smzcyski...

2 comments:

DaveLoven said...

At least your name isn't Vondel

~Dave

Krista Heiser said...

I can appreciate your frustration. My first name is often modified. I've been called Kristen, Krystal, and Kris. I can't help correcting the person, even though I will honestly answer to just about anything.