Wednesday, May 14, 2008

La-la!

I have exercised for three days in a row this week. Two miles on the treadmill and a run at curves. I know that it's not like saying that I developed a formula to cure cancer or anything, but I need to celebrate my successes, no matter how small.

So, my car. Larry was really reluctant to start yesterday, so once I DID get him started, I figured I ought to drive straight to a car place. Some of my problem stemmed from needing an oil change (doh! I know better than to not get my oil changed.) and there was corrosion around the battery terminals. However, the mechanics called me in and gave me this spheel about how my car was essentially a driving time bomb if I didn't get these two rather pricey repairs done. (Sidenote: The total parts would cost about $50. They would, however, charge me in the neighborhood of $700) So I went home, and I was devastated. $700, plus the roughly $300 we already know that we need to put in for new tires, that about totals poor Larry. We can't spend $1,000 on my car right now, but we certainly can't spend $5,000 on a new car, either. Well, my father in law drops by, listens to what's going on, takes a look at my car and was like "uh. yeah. if you keep an eye on the level of fluids in your car, you have nothing to worry about."

Did I mention that I hate mechanics?

Matt got a gps for his birthday...and an electric drill. So what I really mean to say is that *I* got a gps for Matt's birthday. (Only because I've been pining over one for the past year and was going to buy myself one anyway, so I not-so-secretly kidnapped this. Obviously, I'll let him use it if he needs it. But I do more "adventure" driving anyway, so it makes more sense, right?) Her name is Mandy, at least for the time being. If I can figure out how to download a British voice, Mandy might become a he. But for now, I walk around randomly spurting out "Oh MAAAANDY! You came and you gave without taaaaking, and then I sent you away, oh MAAAAAANDY!"
On an unrelated note, Matt might take the drill to the GPS in another week or two. I can't imagine why. :)

In a society where we're constantly upgrading, pining for the new, et cetera, I can say that I'm sitting here listening to speakers that are at least ten years old, and they still sound great. (Well, to me. They're not my bose by any stretch of the imagination, but they sound excellent.) Here's the kicker: The speakers came from Gateway, which was then "Gateway 2000". These speakers came out when the company still sent their computers in boxes that looked like cows. That computer died several years ago (I'm sure it didn't last to the year 2000, that's for sure), but here the speakers are. Off white, dirty, but still crankin' it out.

Ah, music.

Ok, it's almost 2, and it has occurred to me that I've only had some fruit and cheese from bible study this morning. I think I'll go scurry to the kitchen...after I take a load of laundry down.

No comments: