Matt and I have been doing a lot of talking lately. About things. About our lives, and time, and how we spend it. The things we want to do in life, where we want to be, and the people we're trying to become. I don't want to say that it's been some big, stressful conversation, because it's not like one of those "conversations" people have where they really meant that they screamed at each other for hours. It's just this running conversation, a theme that keeps popping up. Though it's not that we don't take it seriously. I don't know how to describe it. It's us. It's how we do business.
Now, I understand that it's more or less the nature of the beast that you will never have all the time you want to do things. Our time is never entirely our own, so we have to do the best with what we can. Make sacrifices, et cetera. But, there just comes a time where you realize ... time is running away from you in multiple directions. Time is a disobedient child in a grocery store. There is some time that you DO have control over, and we haven't been doing so. Matt and I, we spend time with each other. We see each other every day, and we do a lot of things together. However, none of that has been really "quality" time. We aren't doing any of the things that "we" do. We aren't playing games together, we aren't watching movies. We're going out, running from point A to point B to point C, coming home and collapsing. There's a time and a place for it, but it's more and more feeling like a constant run...and it's about to get even busier.
So, after much discussion, we know that sacrifices have to be made. I don't really know how to *describe* it, because to say "we need to stop (blank) because we need to spend more time together" in my mind, insinuates that there is some tension in the marriage, and that's not the case. We just miss spending time with each other, and we want to fix that before it becomes a problem. Control the things we can control, and let go of what we can't.
More changes, and growing up, and pruning, and decisions, and all that good stuff. I think we're making the right choice, really.
On a side note, I've been really nostalgic lately. My dad got really sick this past week with a headcold that ultimately gave him pink eye in both eyes and caused him to burst an eardrum. I hate being away from my family when these things happen. I feel so helpless.

No comments:
Post a Comment