Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Today's "Not Moving" Interlude

I find it necessary to think about things besides moving to our new apartment periodically in order to keep my sanity. Unfortunately, this has to do with moving, just a different sort.

Matt and I have talked about our various moves, how they impacted us, how we really didn't like moving. By far, the place with my fondest memories is Colorado, where I lived from 4-5 and then from 6-12. (There was a brief span where we were back in NY) Today I discovered that Google maps has a "street view" feature. Since apparently NJ and MI aren't pretty enough for the street view, I googled Colorado. Not only do they have the house I lived in, but almost every street around. I spent almost an hour going from street to street, looking up places I remembered. It got me to thinking: what if we'd never left Colorado?

I didn't want to leave Colorado. I had friends there, it was pretty there. I had plans for myself - to go to the local college (UNC) and become a teacher. But, the day before my 12th birthday, my dad got the call that we were being relocated to NJ, den of cliches', bad drivers, and weird accents.

Things have changed a lot there since we left. Apparently word got out that Colorado is a great place to live, and people moved in left and right. Where there was an empty field behind our house, there is now a subdivision. They've re-done the mall, adding a chuck e cheese. Come on - where was that when I was a kid??) They tore down the movie theater that my daddy took me to see Star Wars in. The elementary school chopped up the field I used to run in and added trailers for the school. Our church physically looks the same, except that they've added a sign, but they're no longer anything like the church we attended. For one thing, I don't think they're baptist affiliated anymore. None of the teachers or pastors that were there are still there.

It's the same ... and yet different. How would I be different if I were still there?
I know, it's the most pointless hypothetical question ever, because the obvious answer is that everything would be different. As much as I like Colorado, I can't say that I wish we'd never moved. If there's one thing that my experiences with moving has taught me, it's that you may not always see it at the time, but there's usually a reason that it's for the best.

Koo would like to add that if I hadn't moved, I wouldn't have her. Well, there ya go. ;)

1 comment:

DonSlice said...

What Might Have Been...

I try not to think about
What might have been
'Cause that was then
And we have taken different roads
We can't go back again
There's no use giving in
And there's no way to know
What might have been