Thursday, April 3, 2008

My dad

My dad was laid off from his job back in May - on my birthday, as a matter of fact. He worked for IBM for 22 years, did everything they said, went where they sent him, moved up, transferred out, whatever he needed to do for them. In one swift cut, he was gone, because he was a project manager, which is what they were cutting. He never even ever wanted to BE a project manager, which to me is one of the most tragic aspects of it. The company also screwed him over royally, which I can actually say now that he's gotten all of his severance and they can't take that away. I wish that IBM put out more products that consumers buy, just so I could make more of a stink in boycotting them. It's been nearly a year, and my dad hasn't found anything. I don't understand why, really. He has worked a couple of part time jobs, but those have been sporadic. His unemployment runs out this month. I don't really bring it up ... but the whole thing breaks my heart. It tears me up that I'm not there, that I can't really -see- how they are doing. I want to be able to help them, but we don't really have the money to make a difference and it's just ... a completely helpless spot to be in.
So, Liberty University is at least somewhat interested in my dad - at least enough to write back to him shortly after receiving his application and asking him for more information. They're the only place that's even shown a hint of interest in him in quite a while. I want this to work out for him so badly. I'd do pretty much anything to help him if I could...once again, I can do nothing.

No comments: