Sunday, March 16, 2008

Piddly thoughts on a procrastinating Sunday morning

The cat likes to scratch the back of the couch. I try my best to deter her from this activity, but that's difficult, since the couch is just close enough to the wall, that I can't fit my arm down the back very easily. But Aeris also thinks that this is a game, one where she gets to jump at my arm, claws out, and bite. I promise she's not malicious, she thinks this game is "bobbing for Aery" or something. I try to keep up on triming her claws to at least blunt them. What's funny and cute about "bobbing for Aery" is that it almost always results in her finally climbing to the top of the couch, running to my chest, and cuddling up on me. She could really skip the first part and just go straight to cuddling.

Normally, no matter how hard I try, I kill plants. My mother in law gave me a bulb and a pot that she found on clearance and K-Mart. I decided to give it a try, on account that I LIKE plants, I just don't keep them alive very well. Well, being winter, I figured I needed dirt, but didn't want to go out and buy it. So I waited for almost 3 weeks, feeling really awful when I saw the little leaf of the plant sticking through the cardboard top that came with the pot. So I opened the pot and realized that it came with a tablet of dirt. Oops! So I quickly planted the bulb, watered it, and the plant thrived. Two stalks grew and grew, eventually getting so tall that they had trouble standing up straight. They both bloomed into these lovely flowers (They looked kinda like lillies, but I don't know if that's what they really were), and died. I stopped watering the pot of dirt, and have just been procrastinating on tossing it. Then the other day, I notice new green leaves coming up from the pot. They've been getting steadily taller, the taller is probably around six inches by now. I'm truly baffled.

My girly girls are cuddled up with me, Aery on my shoulder and Koo by my leg. They make it so hard to get up. :( They need to be less cute. I can't imagine what having children is like, because sometimes I feel like these little furry creatures run around with pieces of my heart with them. Makes it difficult to remember that animals have such relatively short life-spans.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

"...I feel like these little furry creatures run around with pieces of my heart with them. Makes it difficult to remember that animals have such relatively short life-spans."

So very true. I was unfortunately reminded of this the hard way. My sweet kitty Gypsy Baby passed away this week, much sooner than I thought she would, and much sooner than I was ready for. Though, can you ever really be ready? I'm not trying to be a downer, just saying I definitely know where you are coming from with the above statement. I actually don't like to tell people when my pets die, because I often don't think that they will "get it". They won't understand how important a pet is, and won't respect the situation or the memory. Because all too often people view pets as objects and not family members. But I know you understand, and will care about what happened. Thank you for loving pets :-) It is amazing how much you can care about a little ball of fur. Makes it very hard to imagine what a kid will do to my heart. Give your furbabies an extra hug today for me :-)