Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Computers, and awesome, and guilt.

If my husband's computers are a 10, my computers are at least a 30. (those are really random numbers...wow) My laptop, which is still missing the backspace key (sadness!) runs way better than the boy's desktop. His laptop has issues, most of which, in all fairness, were brought on by him. He wasn't supposed to use the laptop for anything other than writing.

So he's been trying to build a computer for over a year now. We keep putting it off because of money and technology upgrades and stuff like that. Finally I said, alright, let's do this. Stuff isn't getting any cheaper, and his computer is getting a little deader.

I recently installed a billion fonts on my desktop, and that made the ram cry out in agony. So my wonderful husband bought me 4gbs of ram for the desktop ... which runs better now. But he came up with this idea: why not have ME get the new computer, and he'll take MY desktop?

It's really tempting, and on some levels, it's logical. I do more of the graphic and memory intensive stuff on the computer, whether it's games or photo editing or photoshop work. My desktop would still be WAY better than what he's running now.

But I'd feel awful taking this away from him. He's been so patient. I really want to get him something nice, even though logically, getting me one might make more sense. And no, upgrading both computers isn't an option. Not unless some magic extra money comes rolling in - and when is THAT likely to happen?

So I don't know what to do. Bah.

No comments: