Thursday, January 7, 2010

Your Bra ...

So there's this thing going around on facebook. Post the color of your bra and it raises breast cancer awareness. Now, not to be mean, but I don't see how that works. If colors made breast cancer not a problem, I think the amount of pink sold each October would have done it. Though hey, I'm all in favor of research and education, so don't get me wrong.

I have no problem with human anatomy. I think Americans have a bigger hangup over it than most countries. It is what it is, really...or it is what you make of it. Very generalized, but that's the jist.

I speak for myself. How you feel is absolutely up to you, and I respect that.

What I would say or do offline is not necessarily what I would say or do online. If I say something to friends, I think there's a certain expectation that it won't wind up smattered all over your facebook and twitter. But if I put something on facebook and twitter, I can't control who sees that. My friend Rachael has 1,161 followers on twitter. If I say something and she retweets that, suddenly it's gone from my 26 people to over a thousand. If one of those retweets it ...

There's a lot of stuff I don't mind sharing online. But I don't feel like you need to know the color of my underwear today, or when I'm on my period, or the nitty gritty of my bowel movements. Some things I prefer to keep to myself - you may not. You may want everything right out there, and kudos to you for it.

But as for me and my bra, we shall remain quiet. :)

4 comments:

Rachael Elisabeth-Cahours Acklin said...

That's pretty much why I'm not participating in that Facebook silliness either. How on EARTH does the color of my bra matter to breast cancer awareness?

It satisfies someone's curiosity, I suppose, lol.

fieryiceyrei said...

ME TOO! I feel exactly the same way!! I would like to see more awareness for things like heart disease (the #1 killer of women in the US) which is more common, deadly, preventable, and treatable.

Stacy G. said...

I totally posted the color of mine because my sister did, and I didn't want her to be alone. :)

Krista Heiser said...

I posted, too. Mainly to mess with the men. Although they totally ruined the mystery (fun) by Googling why women were posting colors in their status.

I have to give one friend of mine credit, though, because he retaliated with "brazilian", which set off a hilarious bit of silliness.

So, my bra color, not top secret.