Monday, June 16, 2008

Meat and Greet

For the first three years of my life, I loved ham. Every Sunday we went over to my Grandma's house and had "dinner" with the entire family, and I always ate the ham. Then, one fateful week, my uncle told me where the ham came from.

It was at least another thirteen years before I'd eat ham again. I still don't, really. Something happened, to where the smell of ham is repulsive to me. I can eat bacon - sometimes, under certain circumstances, but Canadian bacon or ham itself - no.

I guess you could say that I have something of a love-hate relationship with meat. I like hamburgers - boy do I ever - but I can't tell you how many times I've lost my appetite after finding a bit of bone in the meat. (I've never been able to eat, or even look at ribs without getting queasy) Chicken is a bit safer, but you get those stringy little tendons or whatnot that have this wrong texture. I've heard rumors of fish where you eat the bones, or need to pick them out as you go. Ew, ew, and ew.

For the most part, I think I could do without meat. If it weren't for hamburgers, I'm sure that I could. (Truthfully, I like french fries much more than I like hamburgers) I do like veggie burgers. Unfortunately, I think they've become even more expensive than hamburger (which is already, by the way, up the wazoo in price), and they don't really 'cut it' in the same way. I like boca burgers, I like hamburgers, but they're not really the same thing.

We've got quite a bit of meat in the freezer at the moment from my mother in law. Once that's gone, I'm seriously considering going without meat for a few months, just to try it, see if I really miss it. Plus, on the bright side, if you're not eating meat, your options for eating out really dwindle.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay for no meat!! I honestly don't miss it at all. Of course I never really liked it to start with. I didn't hate it, but I don't think any meat was on my "favorite foods" list ever.

I personally like the MorningStar Farms line of "fake meat" products better than Boca. But yea, they aren't exactly cheap, but nice to have every now and then.

Matt S said...

We actually like Morning Star chicken nuggets better than actual chicken nuggets. I don't remember if we've ever tried their burgers, though...

Jenny said...

I don't know how often you eat out, but if you ever go to Burger King, you should order the veggie burger. I am almost positive they use the MorningStar Farms (should say on the menu). I really like it :-) And can almost guarantee you that it is probably one of the healthiest choices on the menu.