This is my year of "change", of new starts, character development, et cetera.
One of those things, is that I'm going to start writing again. I miss it, and while it's not the highest priority "creative activity" I have going (the photography and developing a website for that take precidence), I've got two stories that have been nagging to be told for some time. So I've signed up for SVEN - Seventy days of Sweat. Essentially, I'm going to try and write a novel in 70 days. My husband tried it this fall, but unfortunately, life smacked him in the head with a two by four, and I think it was just too many transitions for him at once. (The apartment flood did NOT help him in the least) Now, we're going to be moving (most likely!) within the time frame of SVEN. However, since it won't be under the same circumstances as the last time, I'm hoping I'll fare a little better than the hubby. Then maybe it'll inspire HIM and he'll start writing a lot again.
Anyway, I've got two stories that have been nagging to be told for some time, I just haven't decided which one to go with.
The first is a re-write, sort of. I wrote the original for my junior year creative writing class, and I loved the story - it just never felt fleshed out enough to me. (It was 20 pages, boy was my teacher surprised to see that - most of the stories submitted barely met the minimum required 5!) I've been throwing around ideas, ways to flesh it out, for a couple of years now. It's a great little tragic story, my ideas have brought it quite far from the original draft, except for the basic skeleton, it's not the same story at all...and while I've tried to sit down and re-write this story multiple times, I've never gotten very far. (We're talking a page or two.) It's my sentimental favorite.
The second is an "entirely new" work. My husband has been poking me to write it for several months now, since I first came up with the vague idea over a year ago. My husband has even tried to sit down with me and flesh out ideas, taking down notes while I ramble...but I still haven't written anything. I think this story has a lot of potential, and it's been bubbling in my head for a while. (For instance, one day, I suddenly went "huh. Adriel. That should be the main character's name.)
So I'm really torn. Do I work on the "Sentimental Favorite" or the "New Kid"? Decisions, decisions.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment